Zero Discrimination Day
Zero Discrimination Day is celebrated globally on 1st March to promote equality in the world. Himalai IAS Coaching Centre in Bangalore spread awareness about social responsibility current events for the civil service exams like IAS exams, KAS exams, IES exams, and other competitive exams. Click here to know more about Govt exams.
- Zero Discrimination Day 2020 emphasizes how people can become informed about and promote compassion, inclusion, peace and a movement for change.
- To end all forms of discrimination, Zero Discrimination Day 2020 helps to set up a global movement of solidarity.
- Specifically, this year Zero Discrimination Day 2020 falls on 1st March 2020, Sunday. Now, this year UNAIDS strives for the upliftment of women and girls by ensuring zero discrimination against women and girls.
- Particularly, on Zero Discrimination Day, UNAIDS challenges the discrimination faced by women and girls. In fact, in all their diversity and lifting awareness. In specific, taking mobilizing action to promote equality and empowerment for women and girls.
Zero Discrimination Day History
Firstly, Zero Discrimination Day was celebrated by the United Nation on March 1, 2014. Particularly, after UNAIDS. Chiefly, UNAIDS is a UN program on human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS). Markedly, launched its Zero Discrimination Campaign on World AIDS Day in December 2013.
- UNAIDS encourages action to modify discriminatory laws to restore dignity, respect as well as to save lives.
- World Zero Discrimination Day aims to promote and celebrate the right of the people to live with dignity.
Zero Discrimination Day Theme
- Zero Discrimination Day 2020 theme aims for zero discriminations against women and girls.
- “Act to change the laws that discriminate”, Zero Discrimination Day 2019 theme. Moreover, the theme challenges the people to act against the law that discriminates among human beings.
Significance of Zero Discrimination Day
Based on our belief system we start discriminating between humans. Belief systems built based on the information we gathered in our minds, and that information may be right or wrong, and that information can be changed and modified
To point out, nowadays discrimination happens in the name of gender, religions, casts, language, classes, color, etc. Discrimination creates intolerance in society or country. While it destroys the unity of people which is the foundation of a nation.
- Due to discriminatory laws and practices violation of human rights happening all over the world.
- HIV infected people have travel restrictions in 20 countries.
- Criminalization of transgender people in 17 countries.
- Homosexuality is considered a crime in 67 countries.
How Zero Discrimination Day is celebrated?
Several programs organize on the Zero Discrimination Day worldwide by UNAIDS organizations like debate, speeches, slogans, and awareness activities.
- Zero Discrimination Day campaigns are organizing all over the world to make people aware of the impact of discrimination and also to eradicate it from the world.
- Previously, the Zero Discrimination Day 2019 campaign challenged people to act against laws that discriminate in their country.
What is the Zero Discrimination Day logo?
Icon of a butterfly is the symbol of Zero Discrimination Day.
Below listing the changes that UNAIDs strives to make in society.
- Ensure equal participation in political life.
- Uphold human rights and laws that empower.
- Guarantee Economic justice
- End gender-based violence.
- Provide health care without stigma or barriers.
- Ensure free primary & Secondary education for all.
- Fight for climate justice.
In conclusion, Himalai IAS Classes is actively working with United Nations partners, governments and civil society organizations to change those laws that discriminate.