WORLD TOURISM DAY
- World Tourism Day is celebrated for the spirit of traveling, exploring other culture and diversities and the contribution of Tourism in the socio-economic development of a country
- From 1980, World tourism day is celebrated on 27th September every year to commemorate the day when UN World tourism organization (UNWTO) act was adopted in 1970.
- This year the world tourism day 2018 is celebrated on 27th September 2018, Thursday.
Importance of World Tourism Day
- Over the years Tourism is consistently flourishing to be one of the stable income flow for, especially developing countries.
- It is in equal par with many industries like oil exports, food products or automobiles.
- Tourism has also become one of the major sectors to provide employment opportunities and sustaining many families.
- It improves the co-relation between the countries by recognizing the cultural difference and diversities.
- There are many aspects that have benefited tourism greatly like reduce in transportation (Especially air transport), digital advancements and even social media.
- Tourism has drastically improved over the decades, as per UN statistics
- The tourists’ arrival has increased from 25 million in 1950 to 1.3 billion worldwide
- In revenue, tourism has grown from 2 billion in 1950 to 1260 trillion.
- Tourism now represents 10% of total global GDP
- 1 in 10 employment opportunity globally is provided by tourism.
- Till 2030, UNWTO expects that tourism will grow 3% annually
World Tourism Activates
- The official world tourism 2018 celebration is held in Budapest, Hungary by UNWTO.
- The event also aims to announce the semifinalist for the 1st UNWTO Tourism Startup Competition, for innovative ideas to expand tourism and travel.
UNWTO World tourism 2018 theme “Tourism and the Digital Transformation”
- This theme signifies the importance of digital innovations in sustaining the tourism to its next level.
- This year UN highlights the need for investing in the digital platform for tourism
- In this digitally advanced era, there are many application like big data and AI implementation that help tourism to break its barriers and evolve.
World Tourism Day in India
- The official celebration of world tourism day 2018 is organized with Maharashtra tourism with UNWTO, the chief guest of the event is Honorable Minister for Tourism, Government of Maharashtra Mr. Jaykumar Rawal and other dignitaries will be present and speak on the World Tourism day theme.
- In New Delhi Department of Tourism and Hospitality Management have organized event and competitions related to world tourism day theme, many tourism institutions and Universities in Delhi are expected to participate.
- In Faridabad Haryana, village tourism is promoted with various art and cultural activities to showcase the beauty of rural life. The participants are a potential entrepreneur, Investors, and youth from villages of the region, who can provide assistance to promote the concept of village tourism.
- In West Bengal, as world tourism day celebration by Alipurduar Tourism events are organized exploring the history at Rajabhatkhawa, website launching, and Circular Bike Rally
- Lecture session on the world tourism 2018 theme “Tourism and Digital Transformation” is jointly organized by bijitdutta.com and Gibbon Eco Camp in Jorhat, Assam.
- World tourism day is celebrated by Manipur Tourism in Marjing Polo Complex, the celebrations are live telecasted in YouTube.
- A Tourism Walk is organized by Government of Odisha with the association of Enterprising Knot of Travel & Tourism Associates (EKTTA)
Himalai wants to wish everyone a Happy Tourism day on the occasion world tourism day as a part of our India with world events