WORLD TOURISM DAY
World Tourism Day is celebrated for the spirit of travelling, exploring other culture and diversities and the contribution of Tourism in the socio-economic development of a country
- From 1980, World Tourism Day is celebrated on 27th September every year to commemorate the day when UN World tourism organization (UNWTO) act was adopted in 1970.
- This year the world tourism day 2020 is celebrated on 27th September 2020, Sunday.
Importance of World Tourism Day
- Over the years Tourism is consistently flourishing to be one of the stable income flow for, especially developing countries.
- It is in equal par with many industries like oil exports, food products or automobiles.
- Tourism has also become one of the major sectors to provide employment opportunities and sustaining many families.
- It improves the co-relation between the countries by recognizing the cultural difference and diversities.
- There are many aspects that have benefited tourism greatly like reduce in transportation (Especially air transport), digital advancements and even social media.
- Now, according to UNWTO report on the impact of COVID-19, international tourist arrivals could fall between 60% and 80% in 2020
- To help both governments and the private sector overcome the impact of COVID-19 on tourism and to drive the sector’s recovery, UNWTO has made available Recommendations for Action and Guidelines to Restart Tourism. This action plan for a sustainable and resilient future stresses the importance of tourism to rural communities, particularly in the context of the COVID-19 crisis.
World Tourism Activates
- In the history of World Tourism Day , for the first time the year 2020 official celebration is going to be hosted by a group of nations and not one UNWTO Member State. The cross-border cooperation of the Mercosur nations reflects the present need for international solidarity and cooperation.
- The event also aims for the UNWTO SDGS GLOBAL STARTUP COMPETITION, for innovative ideas to expand tourism and travel.
- Provisional Programme will be on 28th September Monday, Welcome remarks by Zurab Pololikashvili, Secretary-General, UNWTO
UNWTO World tourism 2020 theme “Tourism and Rural Development”
- UNWTO designated the year 2020 as World Tourism Day. This year theme celebrates the sector’s unique ability to drive economic development and supply opportunities outside of big cities.
- World Tourism Day 2020 also highlights the significant role tourism plays in preserving and promoting culture and heritage all around the world.
- Tourism in rural areas offers important opportunities for recovery, making supporting rural communities confronting the economic and social impacts of the COVID 19 pandemic is critical.
World Tourism Day in India
- Several Tourism Day events is taking place on this occasion on various places including New Delhi, Karnataka, Kerala with activities such as Rural tourism promotion, this competition invites participants to promote their villages or promote and rural destination.
Himalai wants to wish everyone a Happy Tourism day on the occasion world tourism day 2020 as a part of our India with world events