World Suicide Prevention Day
World Suicide Prevention Day is observing annually on 8th September. The International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP) coupled with the World Health Organization (WHO) organizing World Suicide Prevention Day 2019 (WSPD). Himalai IAS Coaching Centre in Bangalore spread awareness about social responsibility current events for the civil service exams like IAS exams, KAS exams, IES exams, and other competitive exams.
IASP is a Non-Governmental Organization concerned with suicide prevention. The late Professor Erwin Ringel along with Dr Norman Farberow in 1960 found the organization. IASP now includes professionals and volunteers from 77 countries.
World Suicide Prevention Day 2019 (WSPD) aims to
- Raise public awareness that suicide is preventable.
- Enhance education about suicide.
- Disperse information about suicide awareness.
- Diminish stigmatization concerning suicide.
Facts about suicides on World Suicide Prevention Day
- Significantly, this day is celebrating to create awareness among the public about the fact that suicide can be prevented.
- World Health Organization’s (WHO) first survey on suicide gives another key point. It says that over 800,000 people die by suicide annually. That is to say one person every 40 seconds. About 75% of suicide occurs in middle and low-income countries.
- In the year 2017, the world saw an increase in the number of deaths by suicide in Australia. Specifically, 3,128 people have taken their own lives that year.
- In general, losing one life represents someone’s partner, child, parent, friend or colleague. For each suicide, around 135 people suffer intense misery or are otherwise affected.
- Also, reports show that, for each suicide, 25 other people make a suicide attempt. Many others have serious thoughts of suicides.
World Suicide Prevention Day Theme
World Suicide Prevention Day 2019 theme is “Working Together to Prevent Suicide”. This theme is to mainly supports Australians on the suicides happened in the year 2017.
Suicide Preventing Measures on World Suicide Prevention Day 2019
- Prevent suicides by raising awareness about the causes of suicides, warning signs of suicides together with care for those who are in distress.
- Furthermore, compassion, kindness, honest to goodness concern, are key for anticipating a tragedy.
- Above all, raising community mindfulness is vital to create advance in avoiding suicide.
In conclusion, Himalai wants to raise awareness about suicide on World Suicide Prevention Day as a part of Our India with world events.