WORLD STROKE DAY
- World stroke day is an initiative by World Stroke Organization (WSO) to get the attention of the world about the serious impact of strokes, cause, symptoms and
- The first world stroke day celebration took place in 2006 and since then the world stroke day is observed on 29th October every year.
- Globally stroke remains as the leading cause of disability and second cause of death.
- World stroke day 2018 aims to encourage the constant effort of all the stroke survivors, who strife to get back to life before the stroke.
- Around the world, more than 80 million people have experienced a stroke and 50 million stroke survivors are struggling with a permanent Stroke can occur to anyone at any time.
Damage or rupture of blood tissues in brain cuts the supply of blood for a specific area of the brain. The brain cells get damaged or die without the flow of blood affecting the functionality of the human body like mobility or speech.
Types of strokes
This type of stroke is caused when the blood vessels rupture. The blood gets accumulated at a part of the brain and compresses the surrounding brain tissues.
Ischemic stroke is observed when the blood flow gets obstructed within the blood vessel and brain cells die due to lack of blood supply. This type of stroke accounts for 87 percent of all stroke cases.
This is stroke definition but what are stroke symptoms, stroke causes, can stroke be cured?
- The stroke cause can be the deposition of a fatty layer in the blood vessels which may lead to a blood
- The blood clots can be swept from another part of the body through blood vessels usually from heart Arteries where it reaches small blood vessels in brain stopping the blood flow. These are some stroke causes of Ischemic stroke type.
- A hemorrhagic stroke may occur due to high blood pressure or weak points in brain blood vessels which causes it to rupture.
Stroke symptoms or early warnings
- An intense headache without any known cause
- Trouble in speaking or sudden difficulty in understanding
- The weakness of one side of the body like the face, arms or legs
- Difficulty in walking or maintaining balance or coordination
- Improper vision in single or both eyes
Stroke can be prevented and the stroke impact can be reduced by relevant stroke treatments.
- Recognizing the stroke symptoms and getting treated will improve the outcome significantly.
- Clot removal stroke treatment by removing the blood clot will reduce the disability chances.
- There are specialized drugs called clot-busting drugs which breaks the clots and improve the outcome by almost 30% in case of Ischemic stroke patients.
- Acting fast and admitting the patient to specialized stroke units show excellent recovery.
- There is a high risk for another stroke occurrence with stroke survivors, so they should maintain blood pressure, cholesterol level and a healthier lifestyle as a stroke prevention measure.
- Rehabilitation is a part of stroke treatment which will lessen the after-effects of stroke.
- Weight management by maintaining a healthy diet
- Daily exercise
- Avoiding Alcohol and smoking
- Maintaining blood pressure
- Reduce cholesterol
- Controlled diabetes
World Stroke day activities
World stroke day theme
World stroke day theme every year represents the focus topic of the world stroke day celebration. World stroke day 2017 theme was “What’s your reason for preventing stroke” which emphasized on stroke prevention in world stroke day 2017 activities.
This year, world stroke day 2018 purpose is encouraging the stroke survivors to try and return to their daily life as before the stroke. So, World stroke day 2018 theme is “Up Again After Stroke”. It signifies the hope that with the right care and support living a meaning full life is possible after a stroke.
World Stroke day Events in India
- Public Lecture & Panel Discussion on Stroke, risk factor, stroke causes and clinical symptoms.
- Physiotherapy institutions have organized free checkups and demonstration of life after stroke.
- Stroke awareness camps on prevention and safety measures.
- Educational video release in social media and live Facebook sessions on stokes for world stroke day celebration.
- Exhibition and Poster competition in schools to educate students about stroke and the importance of maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Stroke can be prevented if proper precautions are taken, Himalai IAS coaching wants to create this awareness on this world stroke day as a part of Our India with World Events.