World Rivers Day
World Rivers Day is observing every year on the fourth Sunday of September. Specifically, it is the celebration of waterways. Himalai IAS Coaching Centre in Bangalore spread awareness about social responsibility current events for the civil service exams like IAS exams, KAS exams, IES exams, and other competitive exams.
- The history of human culture is so closely related to the rivers. As the key point, many great civilizations were born in the banks of the important river valleys. Like the Nile, the Tigris and Euphrates etc which provide water, food and movement of people and goods.
- World Rivers Day organizers encourage all of you to come out and participate to improve the well being of rivers.
- World Rivers Day 2019 is the 15th anniversary of World Rivers Day and 39th Annual Rivers Day in BC.
History about World Rivers Day
- The UN launched “Water for Life Decade” to raise awareness about the need for care for our water resources in 2005.
- Internationally renowned river advocate, Mark Angelo proposed the initiative for the World Rivers Day.
- Mark Angelo had founded and led the BC Rivers Day in Western Canada since 1980. This was a great success and based on this, the proposal for a global event to celebrate rivers was introduced.
- The suggestion for a global event to celebrate rivers day was based on the success of BC Rivers Day.
- According to Mark Angelo – “Rivers are the arteries of our planet; they are lifelines in the truest sense.”
About the Founder
- Mark Angelo is from Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada, and is an internationally celebrated river conservationist.
- Mark Angelo is the founder of BC and World Rivers Day and is Chair Emeritus of the Rivers Institute at the British Columbia Institute of Technology(BCIT)
- He received both the Order of British Columbia and the Order of Canada in recognition of his river conservation efforts over the past four decades.
- Since the year 2003 to 2006 Riverworld programs have audiences across North America. Also, the website of the program had more than 40 million visits.
- Significantly, he has experience on the river conservation issues. Accordingly, he has written about 300 articles and essays.
- Mark Angelo was awarded an honorary doctorate from Simon Fraser University for his river conservation work in 2009.
Several events have been organizing worldwide in educational institutions and NGOs to create awareness about Rivers Day. Like stream cleanups, fish enhancement projects, community riverside celebration and more.
Many awards, fellowships, scholarships are hovering on the day. It’s organizing by the International River Foundation.
Only through our active involvement in preserving rivers only, we can ensure the health in the years ahead. In conclusion, as a part of Our India with World Events, Himalai wants to raise awareness about World Rivers Day.