World Humanitarian Day
World Humanitarian Day is celebrated on August 19th every year. World Humanitarian Day 2019 is a tribute to all those who take risks to serve victims of armed conflicts. Himalai IAS Coaching Centre in Bangalore spread awareness about social responsibilities current events for the civil service exams like IAS exams, KAS exams, IES exams, and other competitive exams.
- World Humanitarian Day 2019 aims to provide food, shelter and medical facilities till the government help arrives.
- World Humanitarian Day’s main agenda is to save people and reduce their sufferings.
Who are Humanitarians and what they do?
- Humanitarians are people who seek the well being of human beings.
- Usually ,humanitarians comprise of aid workers and medical personnel. They give short term relief for victims of war crisis, natural disasters, etc before the government provides a long-lasting one.
- Many are victims of facing sexual abuses, unknown danger, trafficking etc and humanitarians are the life support for those people.In particular , they risk their lives to give a helping hand.
History of World Humanitarian Day
- A person namely Sergio Vieira de Mello , a Brazilian ,served 30 years in the UN .He was courageous, intellectual and dynamic UN representative and Secretary General for Iraq. He saved many victims in need as a prominent humanitarian.
- On August 19th, 2003, 22 humanitarians were killed in Baghdad at Canal hotel bombing.
- The UN General Assembly as a resolution, declared 19th August annually as World Humanitarian Day in 2008. Since then August 19th is celebrated in a different theme to recognize the efforts of these relief providers.
- After Sergio Vieira de Mello’s death his family and friends created a foundation called Sergio Vieira de Mello foundation. In particular ,the foundation helps people, promote peace and support humanitarians all over the world.
World Humanitarian Day themes
- World Humanitarian Day 2019 theme is #womenHumanitarians.This theme focus to honor the work of women in crisis across the world.
- World Humanitarian Day theme 2018 was #NotATarget. In particular, it is an initiative to ensure the protection of civilians who are in armed conflicts.
- From the World Humanitarian Day 2010 themes like ‘We are Humanitarian workers’, ‘People help people’ etc are themes that have been supported. ‘I was here’ reached one billion people to promote people helping each other and co-existing.
World Humanitarian Day Activities
- World Humanitarian Day has a message saying loud and clear that doesn’t make us civilians a target of warfare. Generally ,the message is the notation to defend the people who are caught in the middle. It is a definite cause that needs attention.
- Furthermore ,events and rallies are organized in schools ,colleges but more attention is worth for this cause. Humanitarians are the primary and survival help for many. They deserve all the respect and gratitude for their service to humanity.
In conclusion , this occasion of World Humanitarian Day, we from Himalai want to salute all the humanitarian for their assistance and sacrifices.