WORLD FIRST AID DAY
History of world first aid day
- The world first aid day is annually celebrated on the second Saturday of the month of September by The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC).
- The purpose this is to create an awareness about the importance of conducting first aid in saving lives.
- Millions of people face medical emergency situations every year and there is a serious lack of timely support in the initial stage of treatment
- There is a need for people to learn the first aid skills to help others and their dear ones when they require help.
- It first came into existence in 2000 and this year the world first aid day date is observed on 8th September, 2018
What is First aid?
- First aid is a lifesaving act, the first care given when in emergencies like illness or injury.
- The support is given to preserve and protect the life until the medical help arrives.
- Providing CPR, prevention of excess bleeding from injuries are few of the examples of first aid.
- It is only the initial support and cannot be considered as final treatment.
- To perform first aid basic medical training is required.
- Some for minor injuries like cuts and scrapes, minor burns, sprains, nosebleed etc., can be cured with first aid alone, if the injury persists then professional medical treatment becomes necessary.
World first aid day activates
- Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies around the world organize events and campaigns to promote the significance of first aid
- Training session and workshops are organized to educate people about the basics of First aid
- Awards are given in many countries to honor outstanding first aid providers for their service in saving lives
- Every year it is celebrated in different theme, the world first aid day 2017 theme was “Domestic accidents”
World first aid day 2018 theme is “First aid and road safety”
- It is a combined initiative of the Global Road Safety and International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies to create a global platform to avail every resources and learning materials needed to reduce the traffic accidental deaths.
- Traffic accidents are one of the major cause of death globally, more than 1.34 million lives are lost every year due to traffic accidents and the major age range of victims is 15 to 29 years.
- At the moment of accident, if a first aid action is taken by bystander without wasting precious time there is a great chance for the victim survival
- No one knows when they will face an emergency situation, if they have the first aid skill they can lend a hand in saving someone’s life.
- To help in this situation IFRC is celebrating world first aid day 2018 by providing a toolkit and learning materials to give the necessary knowledge of first aid.
Click here or Copy Link (https://shared.ifrc.org/#/downloadcollection/%7Ba6b4f3d2-bce0-445e-89f3-4bd2dfbf7803%7D) and paste in google to access tool kit
First aid is every human beings duty to help a person’s survival, Himalai wants to promote this on world first aid day as a part of our India with world events