WORLD ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH DAY
- World Environmental day is celebrated on 26th September every year by the International Federation of Environmental Health (IFEH) Council to promote the awareness of different issues surrounding the environmental health.
- The world environment health day celebration started in 2011 at IFEH meeting and inaugural event of Environmental Health Youth Summit in Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
- International Federation of Environmental Health (IFEH) is an international organization promoting the significance of environmental health and provide a common global platform for national organizations who are working for the same cause.
- For more than 32 years IFEH is actively working to improve the health issues that constantly threaten the human well-being and to promote the study of environmental health
The importance of environmental health day :
- Environmental health is considered as the health issues outside the human body and the environmental factors that can pose a threat to human health in form of disease and sickness.
- There are many environmental issues like pollution, greenhouse effect, climate change, urbanization etc.., which is deteriorating the quality of the environment, air, water, food etc.., which is essential for human survival in day to day life.
- There is a need for educating the general public about methods of reducing the environmental health issues and precaution to avoid diseases.
- There are many government and private organization working hard to improve food safety, sanitation, clean drinking water, purification of Indoor and outdoor air quality, so their citizens can lead a healthier life
- International environment health day is mainly celebrated to honor the contributions of these organizations and to provide a focal point for their effort
World environmental health day themes:
World Environmental Health day is celebrated in different themes every year, like world environmental health day 2017 theme was “Indoor & outdoor air quality” to tackle air pollution
World Environmental Health day 2018 theme “Global Food Safety and Sustainability”:
- This theme’s aim is to give assistance in growing safer food with clean water and nutrients.
- According to WHO, more than 420,000 deaths globally is caused due to foodborne diseases, and with almost 600 million illness caused by eating contaminated food.
- Children are more prone to get infected by these diseases by 40%, about 125,000 deaths occur due to adulterated food.
- This is one of the main challenge faced by government and food supply chain who are in strife to provide quality food.
- If unavailability of good food is one problem controlling food wastage is the opposite face of it, according to FAO (Food and agriculture organization) more than 1.3 billion tons of food is being wasted annually which is enough to feed 870 million hungry people
- To spread the awareness of the importance of quality food IFEH has set World Environmental Health day 2018 theme as “Global Food Safety and Sustainability”
Other environmental day themes
|Year||World environmental health day theme|
|2012||Building for the future|
|2013||Emerging Environmental Health Risks & Challenges for Tomorrow|
|2014||Addressing Environmental Health Inequalities|
|2015||Children are our future let’s protect their Environment and Healths|
|2016||Tobacco Control… a response to the global tobacco pandemic|
|2017||Indoor & outdoor air quality|
|2018||Global Food Safety and Sustainability|
World environmental health day activities:
- With the association of other national organization, IFEH organizes various events globally to celebrate world environmental health day.
- Health checkups and awareness campaigns are organized to educate the common people.
- In colleges and universities conference and workshops are organized regarding the environmental issues and the possible measures that are needed for its control
- School activities like seedling plantation by children, speech on World environmental health day theme and other activities are conducted to educate students.
World environmental health day in India:
- Consistently over the years, events are organized in India for environmental health day with IFEH association.
- This year, Centre for Environmental Health of India has organized a filmmaking competition for MPH students from Indian Institutes of Public Health to capture the essence of 2018 World environmental health day theme
The environment is the basis of Human survival and it is our duty to protect it, Himalai wants to create an awareness about the importance of environment on World environmental health day as a part of our India with world events.