WORLD DEVELOPMENT INFORMATION DAY
Over the decade’s Governments and Organizations have invested much effort to achieve sustainability across the globe, but it’s a fact that the majority of the population are unaware of these changes. World development information day is dedicated to inform each and every individual about the development problems and acquire the public opinion about it.
The observance of this day also signifies the need of strengthening the coordination between the countries and focus their efforts in world development.
About World Development Information Day
- On May 17th, 1972, UN Conference on Trade and Development emphasized the need for informing and getting to the public opinion on trade and development.
- On December 19th, 1972, the UN approved and adopted of World Development Information day on 24th October every year in its resolution 3032 (XXVII)
- The purpose of the observance of this day is to
- The specific date was chosen to commemorate the adoption of “International Development Strategy for the Second United Nations Development Decade” in 1970
- World Development Information day date also coincides with the United Nation Day to highlight the role of UN in world development
- This year World information day 2018 or World development information day 2018 will be on 24th October 2018, Wednesday.
Improvements in global trade and communication
- The Official Development assistance is the measure of international development aid to a country and it was approximately $135 billion in 2014. In the same year, 79% exports to developed countries entered duty-free from the developing countries.
- Internet penetration has increased from 6% in 2000 to 43% in 2015, over 30% of youth are active online for at least five years.
- In developing countries, around 4 billion people have no access to the internet and globally more than 95% of the population is covered by the mobile or cellular signal
- India is the second largest home for internet users still the internet penetration is around 20%.
- These represent the International relationship between the countries and the improvement in communication technologies that connect people across the globe.
Brief Information on World Development that you can share on World Information Day
- In recent years many changes have been observed like countries agreeing for sustainable development goals which are improving the coordination between the countries and has drawn much-needed attention from the public.
- Since its establishment, one of the main aims of UN is to achieve global cooperation in finding the solution of problems that everyone faced like poverty, hunger, gender inequality, violation of Human rights and more.
- In 1990 around 1.9 billion people were under extreme poverty and now the numbers have reduced in half, this was achieved by combined efforts and UN’s millennium development goals had a major contribution in it.
- In India, poverty has dropped from 47% in 1990 to 21% in 2012.
- Still, more than 836 million people around the world live in extreme poverty and one in five persons live on less than $1.25 per day, there is a need development.
- Poverty rates are just one of many issues of development problems and to achieve overall sustainability by 2030 UN has come up with 17 sustainable development goals in 2015.
Sustainable Development Goals 2030
Sustainable development Goals are the global plan of action for countries to combine their efforts in achieving overall development across the globe.
The 17 sustainable development goals aim to achieve
- Eradication of poverty
- No hunger
- Proper Heath Care
- Gender Equality
- Education rights
- Clean water for everyone
- Clean energy and affordable energy
- Industrial development
- Employment opportunity for everyone
- Reduced discriminations
- Improved quality food production and consumption
- Improving co-existence between people in cities and communities
- Handling climate changes
- Protection of Underwater creatures
- Care of wildlife on land
- Preserving law and justice
- Improving the coordination between countries
International Information Day Activities
- Many events and awareness camps are organized to educate people on world problems and also on UN’s work as this day also marks the United Nation day.
- Mainly social media campaigns are conducted to encourage the young generation to actively take part in world development.
- Gathering world leaders and main personnel are organized to discuss and share their thoughts on development issues from communal to international level.
The communication across the globe has evolved in lightspeed with advancements in internet digital technology. This should be utilized to share world problems and also improve the international correlations to solve it. Himalai IAS coaching wants to create this awareness on this world development information day as a part of our India with world events.