Desertification and Drought Day
Desertification and Drought Day, till this year known as World day to combat desertification and drought, is the day to celebrate and to promote or raise the public awareness of international efforts to overcome desertification. Himalai IAS Coaching Centre in Bangalore spread awareness about social responsibilities current events for the civil service exams like IAS exams, KAS exams, IES exams, and other competitive exams. This year, Desertification and Drought Day 2020 focus on sustainable production and consumption.
Did you Know?
- More than 2 billion hectares of earlier productive land is degraded today.
- Transformed over 70 per cent of natural ecosystems. By 2050, it will reach 90 per cent.
- An additional 300 million hectares of land will be required by 2030 for food production.
- By 2030, the fashion industry is predicted to use – over 115 million hectares of land.
What is Desertification and Drought?
It is the degradation of the land in certain areas like arid, semi-arid and dry sub-humid areas and is mainly due to climatic variations and human activities. Overexploitation of the dry land ecosystems which is 1/3rd of the world land area and some other practices like deforestation, bad irrigation, overgrazing, political instability, poverty are also other causes for deforestation. To raise public awareness about desertification World Desertification Day 2020 is commemorated.
What are the causes of Desertification?
The main causes of this desertification are:
- Trees and bushes that bind the soil bared away for timber and fuelwood or stripped for cultivation.
- Topsoil removed due to animals that eat away grasses and erodes the topsoil with hooves.
- Nutrients of the soil depleted due to intensive farming.
Why Desertification and Drought Day 2020 is celebrated?
- In order to raise public awareness about land degradation and to take measures to overcome the land drought and desertification, the Desertification and Drought Day is celebrated.
- World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought also draws attention to the execution of the United Nations Convention to Combat -Desertification (UNCCD).
- The UNCCD Secretariat invites all the civil society organizations, international and non-governmental organizations, states and other stakeholders to elevate the impact of raising awareness towards land issues to educate the public about effective methods of achieving Land Degradation Neutrality through the publication of documentaries, seminars, and meetings regarding the topic on World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought.
Desertification and Drought Day Theme
- Desertification and Drought Day 2020 is observing under the slogan “Food. Feed. Fibre.” The slogan seeks to educate individuals on how to reduce their personal impact.
- World Day to Combat Desertification Theme 2019 was “Let’s grow the future together”.
How do you combat desertification?
- Saving and reuse of water through various methods like rainwater harvesting, desalination, etc.
- Hyper-fertilizing and enrichment of soil through planting
- Soil fixing through various methods like shelterbelts, woodlots, etc.
- Soil water retention and reducing evaporation by providing mulching to the fields by putting residue from pruned trees.