World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought
World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought is the day to celebrate and to promote or raise the public awareness of international efforts to overcome desertification. Himalai IAS Coaching Centre in Bangalore spread awareness about social responsibilities current events for the civil service exams like IAS exams, KAS exams, IES exams, and other competitive exams.
What is Desertification?
It is the degradation of the land in certain areas like arid, semi-arid and dry sub-humid areas and is mainly due to climatic variations and human activities. Overexploitation of the dry land ecosystems which is 1/3rd of the world land area and some other practices like deforestation, bad irrigation, overgrazing, political instability, poverty are also other causes for deforestation. To raise public awareness about desertification World Desertification Day 2019 commemorated.
Cause of Desertification
The main causes of this desertification are:
- Trees and bushes that bind the soil bared away for timber and fuelwood or stripped for cultivation.
- Topsoil removed due to animals that eat away grasses and erodes the topsoil with hooves.
- Nutrients of the soil depleted due to intensive farming.
Background of World Desertification Day 2019
- In order to raise public awareness about land degradation and to take measures to overcome the land drought and desertification the day World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought is celebrated.
- World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought also draws attention to the execution of the United Nations Convention to Combat -Desertification (UNCCD).
- The UNCCD Secretariat invites all the civil society organizations, international and non-governmental organizations, states and other stakeholders to elevate the impact of raising awareness towards land issues to educate the public about effective methods of achieving Land Degradation Neutrality through the publication of documentaries, seminars, and meetings regarding the topic on World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought .
World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought 2019 Theme
- World Day to Combat Desertification Theme 2019 is “Let’s grow the future together”.
- The United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) celebrates 25th years of progress by countries on sustainable land management, and on the same day, the 25th anniversary of World Day to Combat Desertification 2019 is also there.
- The anniversary campaign will run under the World Desertification Day 2019 theme “Let’s grow the future together,”, and it is supported by the global observance of World Desertification Day and the 25th anniversary of the convention on 17 June 2019 is in Ankara, provided by Turkey government.
- Land & Draught
- Land & Human Security
- Land & Security
Measures to Eradicate Desertification
- Saving and reuse of water through various methods like rainwater harvesting, desalination, etc.
- Hyper-fertilizing and enrichment of soil through planting
- Soil fixing through various methods like shelterbelts, woodlots, etc.
- Soil water retention and reducing evaporation by providing mulching to the fields by putting residue from pruned trees.