WORLD DAY OF REMEMBRANCE FOR ROAD TRAFFIC VICTIMS
- Speeding and Rash driving on road, not only puts the driver in danger but also other people on the road who will be their victims.
- World Day of Remembrance is a dedicated for the remembrance of the road accidents victims and their families. It is also a day to recognize and honor the efforts of all emergency, medical and police professionals who aid for traffic victims.
- The General Assembly Resolution 60/5 adopted World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims on the third Sunday of November.
- World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims 2018 will be on 18th November, Sunday.
- The thought of Remembrance Day or World Road Safety day was first generated in 1995 by Road Victim Advocacy NGOs with the coordination of European Federation of Road Traffic Victims as European Day of Remembrance. Later it spread across the world and now World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims is celebrated in almost every country.
Why World Remembrance Day is celebrated?
- Global status report on road safety 2015 of 180 countries reports that each year more than 1.25 million people die in accidents, which become the leading cause of death for the young people in the age range of 15 and 29 years.
- 90% of the accidents occur in from middle-and-low income countries.
- Around half road accident, victims are pedestrians, cyclists, and
Road accidents are traumatic events that may leave an everlasting scar for victims and their families. Around the world, every year more than 1.25 million injured and bereaved join the uncountable list of million who are already suffering as the results road accidents.
Major road victims are of young age and the grief and suffering experienced by the injured and victim families are immense. The most unfair part is these road accidents are preventable if the drivers or the related people followed the rules or been cautious.
World Traffic Day or Remembrance Day draws the attention of the world to the emotional devastation and economic losses occurred due to road crashes. The traffic day also gives an opportunity for governments to take measures and improve the law to prevent road causalities.
World Remembrance Day Theme
A theme is signified each year to give a meaning for World Remembrance Day. The World day of remembrance for road traffic victims 2018 theme is ‘Roads have stories. The World Remembrance Day 2018 signifies the 2nd pillar of the DoA Safe, safe infrastructure, safe roads, and mobility. Previous year World Remembrance Day Theme
|2010||Remembering lives lost and broken; do not forget the injured!|
|2011||Let’s make 2011-2020 a Decade to remember!
|2012||Now is the time to learn from the past|
|2013||Let’s have roads that are safe for all|
|2014||Speed kills – design out speeding
|2015||It’s time to remember – say NO to road crime!
|2016||Vital post-crash actions: Medical Care, Investigation, Justice!
|2017||2020 Target: reduce road fatalities AND serious injuries by 50%*
|2018||Roads have stories
World Day of Remembrance activities
Many countries around the world organize remembrance service for the road accident victims. Educational events and awareness camps for road safety and measures to take in emergency situations are conducted.
Traffic day in India is observed with various like walkathons, gatherings, exhibitions, workshops and more events.
Road accidents cost lives & happiness of families but we can prevent with proper measures. Himalai IAS coaching wants to spread the awareness of ‘Drive safe and be safe’ on this World Remembrance Day 2018 as a part of our India with world events.