WORLD COCONUT DAY
Coconut Day information:
- World coconut day is celebrated on 2nd of September annually as declared by Asian and Pacific coconut community (APCC) whose headquarters is at Jakarta, Indonesia.
- This organization works to economically support and promote all the coconut industries
- India is one of the founding members of this organization science 1968
- There is a coconut development board(CDB) in India which in collaboration with APCC organizes many events in different parts of the country.
- CDB headquarters at Kochi Kerala and has many regional and state offices all over the country.
- World coconut day is celebrated to promote the uses and importance of this holy tree.
- World coconut day 2020 is observed on 2nd of September 2020 (Wednesday)
Importance of coconut
- Coconut is India is referred to as “kalpavriksha”which means a tree which will fulfills all the necessities of life and is regarded as a holy tree.
- There is a lot of significance in Hindu religion for coconut and coconut tree in rituals and ceremonies.
- In other countries it is also called as “Tree of thousand uses” or “Tree of life”, every part of this tree utilized for either consumption or to make useful products.
- It creates agriculture as well as industrial employment opportunities.
Uses of coconut are unlimited here are few of them:
- Coconut, coconut oil and coconut milk are major ingredients in many food recipes, it reduces obesity and promotes digestion.
- Coconut water has many health benefits and not mention that it is one of the sought out drinks of summer.
- Coconut leaves are used to make brooms, baskets, mats and much more.
- The coir from the coconut is natural elastic fiber which can be used to make ropes, strings, mats, stuffing for mattress etc..,
- Coconut shell and husk are source of charcoal and can be used as fuel
- Coconut is one of the prime ingredients utilized in various cosmetic products
- Coconut is produced in more than 80 countries around the world.
- In World India stands as third largest coconut producer with Indonesia at the top.
- The south states are at the top it is said almost 90% of coconut production is from south states
From the 2016-2017 agriculture statistics from CDB the top 5 states and its productions are as follows
|No.||State||Production in Million|
Coconut Day in India
- Coconut day is celebrated in different theme like the World coconut day 2017 theme was ‘A healthy wealthy life with coconut’, World Coconut Day 2019 was “Coconut for wellness”, Coconut Day 2020 is not yet announced.
- On this day CDB organizes events and Honors major coconut cultivators and Industrialists who have done achievements in the field
- Exhibitions are held for innovative products and latest advancement in technology.
- Many events are organized at school and college level to promote the benefits and uses.
- Workshops are organized where many different coconut recipes are thought
- Farmers are educated about the use of appropriate fertilizers and pesticides for maximum production of this crop.
By Himalai we want to celebrate the World coconut day 2020 as a part of our India with world events and promote the Importance of coconut and its uses.