WORLD COCONUT DAY
Coconut Day information:
- World coconut day is celebrated on 2nd of September annually as declared by Asian and Pacific coconut community (APCC) whose headquarters is at Jakarta, Indonesia.
- This organization works to economically support and promote all the coconut industries
- India is one of the founding member of this organization science 1968
- There is a coconut development board(CDB) in India which in collaboration with APCC organizes many events in different parts of the country.
- CDB headquarters at Kochi Kerala and has many regional and state offices all over the country.
- World coconut day is celebrated to promote the uses and importance of this holy tree.
- World coconut day 2018 is observed on 2nd of September 2018 (Sunday)
Importance of coconut
- Coconut is India is referred to as “kalpavriksha”which means a tree which will fulfills all the necessities of life and is regarded as a holy tree.
- There is a lot of significance in Hindu religion for coconut and coconut tree in rituals and ceremonies.
- In other countries it is also called as “Tree of thousand uses” or “Tree of life”, every part of this tree utilized for either consumption or to make useful products.
- It creates agriculture as well as industrial employment opportunities.
Uses of coconut are unlimited here are few of them:
- Coconut, coconut oil and coconut milk are major ingredients in many food recipes, it reduces obesity and promotes digestion.
- Coconut water has many health benefits and not mention that it is one of the sought out drinks of summer.
- Coconut leaves are used to make brooms, baskets, mats and much more.
- The coir from the coconut is natural elastic fiber which can be used to make ropes, strings, mats, stuffing for mattress etc..,
- Coconut shell and husk are source of charcoal and can be used as fuel
- Coconut is one of the prime ingredients utilized in various cosmetic products
- Coconut is produced in more than 80 countries around the world.
- In World India stands as third largest coconut producer with Indonesia at the top.
- The south states are at the top it is said almost 90% of coconut production is from south states
From the 2016-2017 agriculture statistics from CDB the top 5 states and its productions are as follows
|No.||State||Production in Million|
Coconut Day in India
- Coconut day is celebrated in different theme like the World coconut day 2017 theme was ‘A healthy wealthy life with coconut’.
- On this day CDB organizes events and Honors major coconut cultivators and Industrialists who have done achievements in the field
- Exhibitions are held for innovative products and latest advancement in technology.
- Many events are organized at school and college level to promote the benefits and uses.
- Workshops are organized where many different coconut recipes are thought
- Farmers are educated about the use of appropriate fertilizers and pesticides for maximum production of this crop.
By Himalai we want to celebrate the World coconut day as a part of our India with world events and promote the Importance of coconut and its uses.