World Biofuel Day
The August 10 every year is celebrated as World Biofuel Day to create the awareness of the benefits of Bio-fuel. Himalai IAS Coaching Centre in Bangalore spread awareness about social responsibilities current events for the civil service exams like IAS exams, KAS exams, IES exams, and other competitive exams.
- World Biofuel Day is observed by the Ministry of Petroleum and natural gas and celebration campaigns are also conducted by the Ministry of Petroleum and natural gas in many districts of the country.
- World Biofuel Day creates awareness about the significance of non-fossil fuels as an alternative for conventional fossil fuels and thereby reducing the use of fossil fuels which in turn saves the
- World Biofuel Day aims to educate youth, farmers and other related personnel about the advantages of Biofuel.
- Biofuels create jobs, forests economic growth, supports farmers and helps improve energy security for the country.
- World Biofuel Day 2018 was held at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi on 10th August 2018.
Facts about Biofuel on World Biofuel Day 2019
- On World Biofuel Day 2019, Biofuel programs are in alliance with the Government of India’s efforts for ‘Make in India’, ‘Swachh Bharat’ and enhancing farmers’ income.
- The Government of India has taken several measures to increase the blending of biofuels since 2014 and the significant activities include the administrative price mechanism for ethanol, simplifying the purchasing procedures of OMCs, modifying the rules of Industries (Development & Regulation) Act, 1951 and allowing a lignocellulosic route for ethanol procurement.
- The National Policy on Biofuels-2018 has been approved by the government of India in June 2018 ie.., before World Biofuel Day 2018 and the policy has the goal of attaining 20% ethanol-blending and 5% biodiesel-blending towards the year 2030.
- Ethanol Blending Programme(EBP)-Its objective is at blending ethanol with petrol, thereby bringing it under the biofuel category and thus reducing fuel imports. (Ethanol is a renewable fuel made from various plant materials collectively known as biomass).
- For Domestic Use, Transportation and other energy necessities 80% of imported crude oil is used.
- World Biofuel Day aims to reduce 10% crude imports by 2022, the Ministry has released a policy to help farmers in the disposal of organic waste in an economical way by producing Biofuels
- Funding of Rs 5000 crore is expected for R & D of advanced Ethanol refineries for 6 years. Ministry aims to produce 150 crore liters of Biofuel in one to two years, which will provide a profit of Rs 4000 crore.
- From the ministry of transport to promote the use of greener and cleaner transportation, Public transport driven by Biofuels and electricity with Flexi engines is released.
- In Nagpur, 50 Buses use 100% Biofuel for energy and 50 buses run on CNG produced from sewage water. The use of biofuel has many benefits from Himalai we want to create its awareness too.
Few Benefits of Biofuel on World Biofuel Day 2019
- Biofuel is produced from agricultural products that are unfit for human consumption and municipal waste.
- Biofuel is 100% eco-friendly and will help in pollution control.
- Biofuel will reduce carbon emission and crop burning, which will bring down the greenhouse effect.
- The production of Biofuel will support farmers and an economic way for waste disposal.
- It provides energy security for the country.
- Biofuel will also boost employment opportunities for youth.
- Biofuel has the advantage of minimizing import dependence on crude oil, a cleaner environment, additional income to farmers and employment generation in rural areas.