World Athletic Day
World Athletics Day is celebrated on 7th May every year, Himalai IAS Coaching Centre in Bangalore aims is to bring awareness about current affairs for the Civil Services Exam like IAS exam, KAS exam, banking exam and other competitive exams.
World Athletics Day event was introduced by the then-President Primo Nebiolo, with the aim of increasing public awareness.
- World Athletics day theme to educate youngsters in the practice of athletics. On that first occasion in 1996, World Athletics Day themed around the Centennial edition of the Olympic Games in Atlanta its inspiration to others.
- In particular, the sport of athletics is an exclusive collection of sporting events that involve competitive running, jumping, throwing, and walking.
- Further, the most common types of athletics competitions are track and field, road running, cross country running, and race walking.
History of World Athletic Day
- In particular, World Athletics Day for the first time was in 1996.
- Besides, Organization of The World Athletics Day is by the IAAF (International Amateur Athletic Federation).
- The International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF) was found on 17 July 1912 in Stockholm (Sweden).
- Meanwhile, The IAAF is the world governing body for the sport of field athletics and track.
- All events and expenses of World Athletics Day are a sponser by the IAAF.
- Similarly, Athletics Federation of India (AFI) is the apex body for running and managing athletics in India and affiliation to the IAAF and Indian Olympic Association (IOA).
- Besides, the AFI has 32 affiliated state units and institutional units.
- The AFI was formed in 1946 and the federation organises the National Championships and arranges training for the Indian Athletics.
- The World Athletics day theme is to spread awareness about the sports and the achievements, opportunities in the various fields to achieve their dream in sports.
- From the winners of the World Athletics day event, the names of two boys and girls were drawn from each of the IAAF Continental Areas (Africa, Asia, Europe, Oceania, South America, North-Central America and the Caribbean) and they were invited by the International Federation to attend the Atlanta Olympics.
- The formula was repeated in successive years, with the lucky winners of the IAAF World Athletics Day receiving invitations to attend the IAAF World Championships in Athens (1997) and Seville (1999) and the World Cup in Athletics (Johannesburg 1998).
Purpose of World Athletic Day
In order to enhance sports activities throughout the world; there are various sports events in the world throughout the year. Meanwhile, the main purpose of World Athletic Day is
- Popularize sports among the youth.
- Promotion of Athletics as the primary sport in schools and institutions.
- Increase in public awareness about sports and to educate youngsters about the importance of sports.
- Also to firmly establish an important link between the youth, our sport, and environmental conservation.
In conclusion, Himalai IAS Coaching Centre spread awareness about social responsibility, current events by celebrating events like World Athletic Day as a part of Our India With World Events.