World Alzheimer’s Day
World Alzheimer’s Day celebrating on 21st September every year. Himalai IAS Coaching Centre in Bangalore spread awareness about social responsibility current events for the civil service exams like IAS exams, KAS exams, IES exams, and other competitive exams.
- Since 1994 to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Alzheimer’s disease International (ADI) this day is observing.
- World Alzheimer’s Day is celebrating to create awareness about the disease. Also, for lending a helping hand to people suffering from dementia.
- Annually September month is observing as “World Alzheimer’s Month”. This year Alzheimer’s Day falls on September 21st, Saturday.
- Studies show that 2 out of 3 people around the world have no idea about Alzheimer’s or dementia.
- Around 4 million people are suffering from some form of dementia in the world. There is a need to create awareness about this disease so people can identify the symptoms at is early stage.
World Alzheimer’s Day Themes
World Alzheimer’s Day is celebrating in different themes every year like,
- ‘Remember me’ was the 2017 theme.
- “Every 3 seconds someone in the world develops dementia” was the 2018 theme.
Alzheimer’s and Dementia
What is dementia?
- Dementia defines the symptoms of memory loss, difficulty in thinking or language.
- Dementia is caused when some part of the brain is affected by brain diseases like Alzheimer’s, stroke etc.
- The symptoms start with small things, but the people affecting severe dementia will experience mood swings. Further, they will not be able to do their daily chores properly like they can forget their way home. Similarly, more things that will lead them into risky situations.
- The most common cause of dementia is Alzheimer’s disease. It is named after Alois Alzheimer’s. He is the first doctor to describe Alzheimer’s like a physical disease that affects brain functions.
- In this disease, the connections of the nerve cell are lost by protein build-up known as ‘plaques’. After that, it leads to nerve cell death and damaging the brain tissues.
- Globally Dementia is the 7th leading cause of death. There is no treatment for this disease, the symptoms prolong and after all, it leads to death. Alzheimer’s is a progressive disease, early-stage diagnosing will help the patient
Activities of Alzheimer’s Day
- Alzheimer’s disease International (ADI) is the main organization, which is responsible for conducting Alzheimer’s Day events around the globe.
- ADI is together with the more than 80 countries to help Alzheimer’s patients cope up with their lives and to create awareness about the disease.
- In India, ADI is with Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India (ARDSI). Further, workshops and campaigns are organizing across the nation as a celebration of Alzheimer’s Day.
- All around the globe campaigns, conferences and awareness events are organizing on this day.
By taking care of and loving Alzheimer’s patients with dedication we can provide the best treatment for them. Himalai wants to create an awareness of Alzheimer’s disease on ‘World Alzheimer’s Day’ as a part of our India with world events.