WORLD ALZHEIMER DAY
- World Alzheimer day is celebrated on 21st September every year since 1994 to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Alzheimer diseases International (ADI)
- This day is celebrated to create an awareness about the disease and lending a helping hand to people suffering from dementia.
- September month is dedicated as “World Alzheimer Month”
- It is stated that 2 out of 3 people around the world have no Idea about Alzheimer or dementia, there is a need to create an awareness about this disease so people can identify the symptoms is early stage.
- There are over 50 million people around the world and in India, there are 4 million people who are suffering from some form of dementia.
Alzheimer and Dementia
What is dementia?
- Dementia defines the symptoms of memory loss, difficulty in thinking or language.
- Dementia is caused when some part of the Human brain is affected by brain diseases like Alzheimer, stroke etc.
- The symptoms start with small things, but the people affected with severe dementia will experience mood swings and will not be able to do their daily chores properly like they can forget their way to home or more things that will lead them into risky situations.
- Most common cause of dementia is Alzheimer diseases, which is named after Alois Alzheimer the first doctor to describe Alzheimer as a physical disease that affects brain functions.
- In this disease, the connections of the nerve cell are lost by protein build-up known as ‘plaques’, which will lead to nerve cell death and damaging the brain tissues
- Globally Dementia is the 7th leading cause of death.
- There is no treatment for this disease, the symptoms can only be prolonged.
- Alzheimer’s is a progressive disease, early stage diagnosing will help the patient
World Alzheimer Day Activities
- Alzheimer diseases International (ADI) is the main organization, which responsible for conducting World Alzheimer Day events around the globe.
- ADI is associated with the organization in more than 80 countries to help Alzheimer patients cope up with their lives and to create an awareness about the disease.
- In India, ADI is associated with Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India (ARDSI), works shops and campaigns are organized across the nation as a celebration of World Alzheimer Day in India.
- World Alzheimer Day is celebrated in different themes every year like World Alzheimer Day 2017 theme was ‘Remember me’
- World Alzheimer Day 2018 theme is “Every 3 seconds someone in the world develops dementia”
- All around the globe campaigns, conferences and awareness events are organized on this day.
The best treatment that can be provided to Alzheimer diseases is by taking care and loving them with dedication. Himalai wants to create an awareness of Alzheimer diseases on ‘World Alzheimer Day’ as a part of our India with world events.