- Hindi diwas is referred in many forms as Hindi day or National Hindi divas or “Vishwa Hindi diwas”.
- It is celebrated annually on 14th September as on this day in 1949 Hindi written in Devanagari script became the official language of the Republic of India along with English.
- This was officially adopted in the constitution on 26 January 1950.
History of Hindi Diwas 2020
- India is a nation with lots of diversities and language is one of them. There are 29 states and 7 union territories in India and there are 22 different officially recognized languages, so for Hindi to become India’s official language it was not a small feat.
- Personnel like Beohar Rajendra Simha along with poets and activists like Hazari Prasad Dwivedi, Kaka Kalelkar struggled by protesting and rallied to make Hindi the official language.
- The final manuscript of the constitution of India, one of the best constitution in the world was the artwork of Beohar Rammanohar Sinha. He always signed his artworks in Devagiri script to show his love for the language.
- Further, our first president Jawaharlal Nehru stated that no foreign language can become the official language of the country as it can’t be used by common people.
- In 1954 a committee was established to give a standard for basics of Hindi grammar and the committee gave the results in 1958.
- On 50th birthday (14-09-1949) of Beohar Rajendra Simha. , Hindi was adopted as the Official Language of the Republic of India.
- Uniformity in language and some shapes of the Devagiri letters were modified by Central Hindi Directorate of the Ministry of Education and Culture.
- Is National Hindi Diwas 2020 and World Hindi Diwas 2020 same? National Hindi Diwas celebrated on 14th September every year commemorates the adoption of Hindi written in Devanagari script in 1950 as the official language of the Union by Constituent Assembly of India. On the other hand, World Hindi Day is celebrated on 10th January to promote the Hindi Language across the world.
10 Facts about Hindi and Hindi Day 2020
1. The first World Hindi Conference was organized on 10 January 1975 in Nagpur to promote the Hindi language throughout the planet. Therefore, this day is widely known as World Hindi Day.
2. Former Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, announced to celebrate World Hindi Day per annum on 10 January 2006.
3. Indian embassies abroad organize special events on the occasion of World Hindi Day. Programs in Hindi are organized on various subjects altogether government offices.
4. On 14 September 1949, the Constituent Assembly gave Hindi the status of an official language, since then on 14 September, Hindi Day or Hindi Diwas is widely known.
5. Hindi is taught in many universities around the world. Not only this, but Hindi is also one of the foremost widely spoken languages worldwide.
6. There’s an island named Fiji in Melanesia within the South Pacific Ocean. In Fiji, Hindi is given the status of the half-official language. it’s also called Fijian Hindi or Fijian Hindustani. it’s a mixed sort of Awadhi, Bhojpuri and other dialects.
7. Hindi is spoken in many countries including Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, USA, UK, Germany, New Zealand, UAE, Uganda, Guyana, Suriname, Trinidad, Mauritius and South Africa.
8. Within the year 2017, for the primary time within the Oxford Dictionary, Hindi words like ‘good’, ‘big day’, ‘child’ and ‘Surya Namaskar’ were included.
9. Consistent with the calculation of the World Economic Forum, Hindi is one among the ten powerful languages of the world.
- The people inhabiting the regions of Indus were referred to as Hindi meaning “Indian” in Persian, this is the origin of Hindi language.
- Hindi is one of the Indo- Aryan language and direct decedent of the Vedic Sanskrit.
- In the later 18th century Modern Hindi and its literary form was modified and later in 19th century it was standardized and separated from Urdu.
- Many Writers and poet’s works popularized the language and now more than 41% of Indian population use it in their day to day life.
Hindi Diwas activates
- Many events are organized in school level like to write short essay on Hindi diwas in Hindi language, Hindi Diwas speech and debates to promote the use of the language.
- Many institutions exhibit the literary works of notable poets as Hindi diwas celebration.
- Awards are given by President of India for for achievers in different categories in Hindi literature field at an event in Vigyan Bhawan , New Delhi.
- “Rajbhasha Kirti Puraskar” and “Rajbhasha Gaurav Puraskar” are given by Ministry of Home Affairs on Hindi diwas.
Himalai wants wish everyone a Happy Hindi diwas 2020, as a part of our India Our Event celebration.