- Hindi diwas is referred in many forms as Hindi day or National Hindi divas or “Vishwa Hindi diwas”.
- It is celebrated annually on 14th September as on this day in 1949 Hindi written in Devanagari script became official language of Republic of India along with English.
- This was officialy adopted in constitution on 26 January 1950.
History of Hindi Diwas
- India is a nation with lots of diversities and language is one of them. There are 29 states and 7 union territories in India and there are 22 different officially recognized languages, so for Hindi to become India’s official language it was not a small feat.
- Personnel like Beohar Rajendra Simha along with poets and activists like Hazari Prasad Dwivedi, Kaka Kalelkar struggled by protesting and rallied to make Hindi the official language.
- The final manuscript of constitution of India, one of the best constitution in the world was the art work of Beohar Rammanohar Sinha. He always signed his art works in Devagiri script to show his love for the language.
- Our first president Jawaharlal Nehru stated that no foreign language can become the official language of the country as it can’t be used by common people.
- In 1954 a committee was established to give a standard for basics of Hindi grammar and the committee gave the results in 1958.
- Uniformity in language and some shapes of the Devagiri letters were modified by Central Hindi Directorate of the Ministry of Education and Culture.
- The people inhabiting the regions of Indus were referred as Hindi meaning “Indian” in Persian, this is the origin of Hindi language.
- Hindi is one of the Indo- Aryan language and direct decedent of the Vedic Sanskrit.
- In the later 18th century Modern Hindi and its literary form was modified and later in 19th century it was standardized and separated from Urdu.
- Many Writers and poet’s works popularized the language and now more than 41% of Indian population use it in their day to day life.
Hindi Diwas activates
- Many events are organized in school level like to write short essay on Hindi diwas in Hindi language, Hindi Diwas speech and debates to promote the use of the language.
- Many institutions exhibit the literary works of notable poets as Hindi diwas celebration.
- Awards are given by President of India for for achievers in different categories in Hindi literature field at an event in Vigyan Bhawan , New Delhi.
- “Rajbhasha Kirti Puraskar” and “Rajbhasha Gaurav Puraskar” are given by Ministry of Home Affairs on Hindi diwas.
Himalai wants wish everyone a Happy Hindi diwas, as a part of our India Our Event celebration.