Here candidates will find the detailed and complete UPSC Syllabus for Indian Engineering Services Prelims Exam.
The Prelims exam of the IES/ESE consists of two papers viz.
- Paper 1: General Studies and Engineering Aptitude
- Paper 2: Engineering Category-Wise Paper
The maximum marks allocated to paper 1 of ESE Prelims exam is 200 and the duration of paper is 2 hours. The standard of the General Studies and Engineering Aptitude Paper I is of a science/engineering graduate.
The standard of paper in General Studies and Engineering Aptitude (Preliminary Stage-I Examination) will be such as may be expected of an Engineering/Science Graduate.While the standard of Prelims Paper II on specific Engineering categoryis that of an Engineering Degree Examination of an Indian University.
UPSC SYLLABUS FOR IES/ESE PRELIMS PAPER-I: GENERAL STUDIES AND ENGINEERING APTITUDE
- Current issues of national and international importance relating to social, economic and industrial development
- Engineering Aptitude covering Logical reasoning and Analytical ability
- Engineering Mathematics and Numerical Analysis
- General Principles of Design, Drawing, Importance of Safety
- Standards and Quality practices in production, construction, maintenance and services
- Basics of Energy and Environment: Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, Climate Change, Environmental impact assessment
- Basics of Project Management
- Basics of Material Science and Engineering
- Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) based tools and their applications in Engineering such as networking, e-governance, and technology-based education.
- Ethics and values in the Engineering profession.
- There will be no practical examination in any of the subjects.
- The Prelims Paper-I: General Studies and Engineering Aptitude is common for candidates of all Engineering Categories of IES/ESE
- The questions asked in General Studies and Engineering Aptitude includesawareness of relevant topics which would be expected from an engineering graduate and does not requires any special study.
- Questions will be set from all the above mentioned 10 topics.
- Marks allocated for each topic may range between 5% and 15% of the total marks of the Paper 1.
The UPSC IES/ESE Prelims syllabus of the Paper II is on a Specific Engineering Category of the Indian Engineering Service, and the syllabus of the prelims Paper 2 is same as the IES/ESE Mains Syllabus. Click the below links to know the detailed UPSC Syllabus of ESE Prelims Paper II category wise.