INDIAN AIR FORCE DAY
Reason for Indian Airforce day, why is it celebrated?
- Indian Airforce day is celebrated on 8th October annually to commemorate the establishment of Indian Air force in 1932.
- It is the day to remember the contributions of air force towards national security and a tribute to air force Heroes who laid down their lives for the country.
- 88th Air Force day, i.e. Indian Airforce day 2020 is celebrated today on 8th October 2020.
- This year Indian Air Force Day 2020 celebration parade takes place at the Hindon airbase in Ghaziabad.
INDIAN AIR FORCE
- Indian Air force (IAF) is the air armed force that secures the airspace of India’s borders and aid other Indian armed forces in wars.
- They also organize civilian rescue mission under natural calamities.
- In 1932 British founded the Indian air force as an auxiliary force, for the contribution of its during World War II, British renamed it as Royal air force.
- After Independence the Airforce was divided between India and Pakistan, the Indian government dropped the ‘Royal’ prefix and Indian Air force was born.
- Later IAF was engaged in five major wars, one against China and four against Pakistan.
- Over the years IAF has seen significant growth in R & D with HAL establishment and DRDO’s ventures.
- Now, Indian Airforce is the fourth largest air armed force in the world in terms of troops and assets.
Milestones in Indian Air Force history
1960-1961 Congo crisis and Annexation of Goa (Operation Vijaya)
1962- Sino- Indian War (India- China border disagreement)
1965- Second Kashmir war (Indian- Pakistan J & K disagreement)
1971- Bangladesh Liberation War
1984- Operation Meghdoot (To capture the 70 Km long Siachen Glacier)
1987- Operation Poomalai (Sri Lanka Humanitarian supplies through airdrop)
1987- IAF support to UN’s Indian Peace Keeping Force (IPKF)
1988- Operation Cactus (IAF aid to the Maldives)
1999- Kargil War (Operation Safed Sagar)
Airforce Day Celebrations
- IAF has organized this year’s Indian Airforce day events in Hindon, Uttar Pradesh which is attended by many dignitaries and civilians.
- Every year for Indian Airforce day celebration IAF holds parades and ceremonies which is attended by the three chiefs of Indian Army, Navy and Air force.
- On this day Air fighters take the ‘Oath of allegiance’ to dedicate their lives for the country.
- IAF conducts a wreath-laying ceremony honouring the lives that were sacrificed for a greater cause with reverse arms and two minutes of silence.
- By recognizing the accomplishments, IAF honours air warriors with gallantry awards and medals
- The much-awaited part of air force day celebration is the Airshow, with months of preparation IAF’s fighters performs a mesmerizing air display and air acrobatics with fighter jets like Mi-17 V5, Apache, SU-30 MKI, Jaguar and Rudra helicopters. Like this, different fighter jets will be a part of the parade
- Airforce displays demos of major Indian air force planes, fighter jets, and helicopters for their visitors which are the pride of India.
- Many Indian leaders and representatives deliver their wishes to the Indian air force through social media.
On this Indian Airforce Day 2020 as a part of our India our pride event, Himalai IAS coaching salutes Indian air force for their dedication and hard work in safeguarding us.