WORLD SPACE WEEK
World space week is the celebration of betterment in human lives through science and technology. Globally world space week is observed from 4th October to 10th October every year to mark the two major milestones in space history.
- 4th October 1957- Launch of Sputnik 1, the first satellite made by mankind
- 10th October 1967- Drafting of “Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Peaceful Uses of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies”
- In 1999 United Nation in its general assembly took the resolution to observe space week annually, to strengthen the relations between space travelled and emerging space countries by providing a common global platform.
- Now World space week have become the world’s largest space event, with 80 globally participating countries and over 3700 organized world space week events.
- After 2007 with digital evolution, world space week activities participation has increased to over 2,000,000 with nearly 500,000,000 social media posts.
- This year the World space week 2020 celebrations start from 4th October 2020 (Thursday) and continue till 10th October 2020 (Wednesday)
World Space Week Association (WSWA)
World space week Association is a global organization (nonprofit and non-government) which coordinates world space week activities worldwide.
- The Organization work from voluntary contributions and sponsors and it is a permanent observer of the UN Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space
- In 1980 the Association formed to coordinators of space week from July 16- 24 (Celebration of the moon landing), after UN resolution in 1999 they reformed to world space week association
Why World Space Week is celebrated?
The purpose of World Space Week activities
- Reinforce the cooperation between countries in space outreach and education.
- Support more the research and development of science & technology in space programs.
- Encourage the young generation to cultivate an interest in science, engineering, and
- Educate people about the benefits of space programs and its influence in their day to day lives.
- Promote the vast benefits of space in the economic development of countries
World Space Week Theme
WSWA selects a unique world space week theme every year to increase the impact of space week, the world space week 2020 theme is “Satellites improve life.”
Previous Years World Space Week Themes
|YEAR||World Space Week Theme|
|2010||Mysteries of the Cosmos|
|2011||50 Years of Human Spaceflight|
|2012||Space for Human Safety and Security|
|2013||Exploring Mars – Discovering Earth|
|2014||Space: Guiding Your Way|
|2016||Remote Sensing – Enabling our Future|
|2017||Exploring New Worlds in Space|
|2018||Space Unites the World|
|2019||The Moon: Gateway to the Stars|
World Space Week Activities
Global World Space Week Events
With the support of the UN, WSWA has a global team of national coordinators who organize nation wise world Space Week activities
- There are safe and exciting ways to celebrate World Space Week, 4-10 October 2020 safety given the COVID-19 pandemic. a method is to watch satellites.
The WSW 2020 theme, Satellites Improve Life, encourages students and therefore the public to find out about satellites and some ways they improve life on Earth.
World Space Week 2020 is a chance for us to celebrate, to be pleased with everything we do together, be amazed at the potential of space, and to excite kids and folk round the world who aren’t a part of our space community.
World Space Week India
- Many space agencies, organizations, schools, planetarium, museums, and astronomy clubs in India have organized many World Space Week virtual events in India.
Space Programs have a significant contribution to the constantly advancing digital world, which has a huge impact on everyone’s daily lives. Himalai IAS coaching institute is delighted to celebrate world space week 2020 as a part of Our India with World Events.