WORLD SIGHT DAY
- Himalai IAS coaching center is one of the best Coaching Center in Bangalore bringing you one of the Exam oriented Current affair to make you exam ready, know more about the world Sight day and get prepare for the Civil services examination.
- Countries worldwide celebrate World sight day on 2nd Thursday of October every year to create awareness of the importance of vision and how to protect it from blind and vision impairment.
- World sight day is a co-initiative started from the year 2000 by the International Agency for Prevention of Blindness (IAPB) and World Health Organization.
- International Agency for Prevention of Blindness (IAPB) is a nonprofit international organization established in 1975, which works for the prevention of visual impairment and to improve facilities for blind people.
- World sight day 2018 will be on 11th October 2018, Thursday.
Vision Loss Report
- Worldwide 253 million people have diminished or damaged vision, in which 36 million are blind and 217 million people have moderate or severe vision impairment.
- 75% of vision impairment can be avoided, that is 1.1 billion people are on the verge of blindness just because they can’t access the right aid.
- 55% of visually impaired people are women.
- A major percentage of 89% of visually impaired people reside in low- and middle-income countries.
- World sight day is a global platform to focus effort of all eye health care organization and is a great day to engage people around the world.
WHO vision 2020
World health organization together with IAPB launched ‘Vision 2020: The Right to Sight’ in 1999. Its main purpose is eradicating all preventable and treatable blindness by 2020.
World sight day activities
Many countries all over the world organize world sight day activities like eye health camps, workshops educating about eye diseases and maintain the eye health and seminars about recent advancements in eye care technologies. IAPB organizes world sight day with different world sight day theme which serves as a call to action.
World sight day Theme
|2013||Universal Eye Health|
|2014||No more Avoidable Blindness|
|2015||Eye care for all|
|2017||Make Vision Count|
|2018||Eye Care Everywhere|
World Sight day theme 2018 is “Eye care everywhere”
There are more than 1.1 billion people who are suffering from vision impairment just because they can’t get access to spectacles. This year theme focuses on providing eye health care facilities available to everyone. Especially for children, old age and diabetic people.
World Sight day in India
- The government of India has taken many initiatives to prevent visual impairment by improving eye care facilities, creating awareness about eye care and blindness care.
- National Programme for Control of Blindness & Visual Impairment is a central scheme established in 1976 and coordinated by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare aims to reduce preventable blindness by 2020.
- For world sight day 2017 India was one of the countries in South Asia to organize the highest number of events.
- All over India, many world sight day activities take place like outreach camp, eye checkups, signature campaign, eye health awareness workshops, interview of eminent doctors educating about eye free eye operations for less privileged people and more.
75% of visual impairment can be treated and blindness can be avoided, this is a valuable cause that requires global attention, Himalai IAS coaching center in Bangalore wants to create this awareness on world sight day as a part of our India with world events.