WORLD HEART DAY
World Heart Day is annually celebrated on 29th September to create an awareness of the need for maintaining heart health.
- This is an initiation by the World Heart Federation (WHF) since 2000 WHF is organizing campaigns all over the world, informing people about heart diseases and its prevention.
- In this current scenario of COVID-19, CVD patients are faced with a double-edged threat. Not only are they more in danger of developing severe sorts of the virus, but they’ll even be afraid to ongoing look after their hearts.
World Heart Day 2020 importance (Facts and Figures):
- Cardiovascular disease represents diseases of the heart, blood vessels, and vascular brain diseases. In common terms, it refers to heart attacks and stroke.
- Worldwide cardiovascular disease (CVD) has become the number one cause of death, more than 17.5 million lives deaths occur due to heart attacks and strokes.
- The death rate due to the heart attack is 7.3 million and due to stroke is .2 million
- Recognizing these world leaders have taken measures to reduce this at least 25% before 2025
- World heart day provides a platform to focus all the efforts of different organizations in fighting this disease
Know Your Heart:
- A baby’s heart starts beating after 3 weeks of conceiving.
- It beats more than 115,000 per day, pumping 200 gallons of blood.
- A person’s heart size is equivalent to his fist size and weighs less than 1 pound.
- High blood sugar, Blood pressure, and cholesterol are the common cause of heart failures.
- Manage your heart health with simple changes in your daily life like healthy diet, exercises, stress relieving activities and avoid smoking.
- Occasionally check your blood sugar, blood pressure and BMI scale by a doctor or a medical professional.
World Heart Day 2020 theme is “Use Heart To beat CVD… ”:
- This year world heart day theme is about using…Your Head….Your influence…Your Compassion.
- Your Head: To understand what it takes to measure a heart-healthy life and to act thereon knowledge, changing your behaviour for a far better quality of life now and within the future.
- Your influence: Set yourself as an example for your loved ones.
As a healthcare professional to assist your patients to make positive changes for his or her heart health.
As an employer to take a position within the heart health of your employees.
As a government to implement policies and initiatives which will cause better societal heart health, like sugar taxes, smoking bans and reducing pollution.
- Your Compassion: To look beyond the self and act in ways in which that support the foremost vulnerable in society; those with underlying heart-related conditions which will put them at greater risk in this pandemic situation of COVID-19.
- A major percentage of Heart attacks are triggered at home. Consult a professional to know about the initial symptoms and measures that can help avoid further harm so you can help anyone one in emergency situations.
World Heart day activities:
- On the world heart day, WHF organizes Heart Hero award event to honor everyone who has contributed to maintaining heart health from research profession, organizations to common individuals.
- Globally many organization plan world heart day activities like health checkups, educative seminars, workshops, informative social media posts etc.
World Heart Day in India:
- Cardiological Society of India has organized educative awareness camp in Silchar, Assam.
- Indian Association of Clinical Cardiologists is conducting health screening camp in Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
It is our responsibility to care for our heart and others. Himalai IAS coaching wants to promote the importance of heart health on this World Heart day as a part of our India with world events.