UPSC Current affairs to prepare for UPSC exam
Contract Signing with M/S CSL and M/S GRSE for ASW SWC for Indian Navy
- Contracts for Sixteen ASW SWC ships have been signed for construction of eight ships each from M/s CSL, Kochi and GRSE, Kolkata respectively.
- In view of India’s vast coastline of 7516.6 kilometer with 12 Major ports, 184 minor ports and 1197 Island territories, coastal surveillance for ASW operations is considered critical.
Index of Eight Core Industries (Base: 2011-12=100) March, 2019
- The synopsis of the Index of Eight Core Industries (base: 2011-12) is given at the Annexure.
- The Eight Core Industries involve 40.27 percent of the heaviness of things incorporated into the Index of Industrial Production (IIP). (Read more…)
Electoral Bond Scheme 2018 Sale of Electoral Bonds at Authorized Branches of SBI
- The Government of India has notified the Electoral Bond Scheme 2018 vide Gazette Notification No. 20 dated 02ndJanuary 2018.
- A individual being an individual can purchase Electoral Bonds, either separately or together with different people.
Workshop on “Space Warfare and Technology” by Directorate of Indian Defence University
- Directorate of Indian Defence University (IDU) is organizing a two day workshop on “Space Warfare and Technology” for senior and middle level officers from the three Services on 02-03 May 19 at the Purple Bay, India Gate Circle, New Delhi.
All modules getting ready for Chandrayaan-2 launch during the window of July 09 to July 16, 2019
- Chandrayaan-2, India’s second lunar mission, has three modules specifically Orbiter, Lander (Vikram) and Rover (Pragyan).
- The Orbiter and Lander modules will be interfaced precisely and stacked together as a coordinated module and suited inside the GSLV MK-III dispatch vehicle. (Read more…)
Water Storage of 91 Major Reservoirs of the Country Goes Down by One Percent
- The water stockpiling accessible in 91 noteworthy supplies of the nation for the week finishing on May 02, 2019 was 40.592 BCM, which is 25% of all out capacity limit of these repositories.
- This percentage was at 26 for the week ending on April 25, 2019.
Government and IIT-Delhi to set up a Centre of Excellence for Waste to Wealth Technologies
- To commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, the Office of the PSA to the Government of India and IIT Delhi have come together to bring the best of science and technology to implement waste management in India.
- Principal Scientific Advisor to the Govt of India, Prof K. Vijay Raghavan and Director, IIT Delhi, Prof V. Ramgopal Rao signed a Memorandum of Understanding today in New Delhi for setting up a Centre of Excellence for Waste to Wealth Technologies for implementation of sustainable, scientific and technological solutions for waste management, through validation and deployment of available technologies for transformation of waste to wealth. (Read more…)
VP calls for a public transport-centric approach to combat growing vehicular pollution
- The Vice President Shri M Venkaiah Naidu has called for adopting a public transport-centric approach to decongest traffic-choked cities and combat growing vehicular pollution.
- Pointing out that urban transport was leading to growing air and noise pollution.
Water Related Issues should Now Become Our Priority- U.P. Singh
- Shri U.P. Singh, Secretary, Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation expressed concern that inspite of reports of water crisis in many parts of the country, water related issues have not got adequate space in our conversations and our concerns in society as whole.
Dr. Krishnamurthy Subramanian is new Member of Finance Commission’s Advisory Council.
- The Chief Economic Advisor, Government of India, Dr. Krishnamurthy Subramanian had been included as Member of the Advisory Council of the Fifteenth Finance Commission.
- To advise the Commission n any issue or subject related to the Terms of Reference (ToR) of the Commission, which may be of relevance. (Read more…)
Cabinet Secretary weights on restoration of power and telecom services in FANI Cycloneaffected areas of Odisha at the NCMC meeting
- NCMC under the Cabinet Secretary Sh. P. K. Sinha today looked into help measures in thecyclone FANI influenced territories of Odisha, West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh with the States and Central Ministries/Agencies concerned.
- Odisha educated that power and media transmission offices are step by step being reestablished in the Cyclone influenced zones of the state. Real harms to the Power transmission and dissemination frameworks are accounted for in Bhubaneswar and Puri.
Leader of India pays flower tributes to Giani Zail Singh on his introduction to the world commemoration
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, paid flower tributes to Giani Zail Singh, previous President of India, on his introduction to the world commemoration at Rashtrapati Bhavan today (May 5, 2019).
- The President, relatives of Giani Zail Singh just as officers and staff of the President’s Secretariat paid regards before his representation. (Read more…)
Launch of Fourth Scorpene Class Submarine – VELA
- Vela, the fourth Scorpene class submarine being constructed by Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited for the Indian Navy, was launched , on 06 May 2019.
- VAdm AK Saxena, CWP&A was also present during the launching ceremony. This occasion reaffirms the means taken by MDL in the progressing ‘Make In India’ program, which is by and large effectively actualized by the Department of MoD.
15th Finance Commission to hold meetings with RBI and Banks & Financial Institutions and Eminent Economists.
The 15th Finance Commission has scheduled a two-days visit to Mumbai to hold meetings with the RBI and with the Banks and Financial Institutions on 8th and 9th May, 2019.
In the meeting with the RBI, headed by Governor Shri Shaktikanta Das, the Commission is likely to discuss the following issues:-
- Views on key macro-economic assumptions for the Fifteenth Finance Commission (FCXV), keeping in view the key parameters central to macro-financial stability.
- Views on the cost of borrowings of the Centre and the States during the award period of the FCXV.
Auction for Sale (Re-Issue) of Government Stocks
Government of India has announced the Sale of
- ‘7.32 percent Government Stock, 2024’ for an advised measure of Rs. 5,000 crore (ostensible) through cost based sale,
- ‘7.26 percent Government Stock, 2029’ for a told measure of Rs. 6,000 crore (ostensible) through cost based sale,
India and U.S. Hold Bilateral Trade Meeting
- India & the United States held the India-U.S. Reciprocal Trade meeting in New Delhi today. Suresh Prabhu, Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Government of India and Mr. Wilbur Ross, Secretary of Commerce, United States of America co-chaired the bilateral meeting.
- Both sides expressed satisfaction over the progress during the year 2018, with bilateral trade in Goods and Services registering a growth of 12.6% from $ 126 billion in 2017 to $142 billion in 2018. (Read more…)
Initiatives by Commerce Ministry to Boost Trade with African Countries
- This activity was held so as to fabricate a successful commitment with the Indian Diaspora in Africa so as to additionally extend and reinforce India-Africa exchange ties.
- The DVC was gone to by more than 400 individuals from Indian business network in 11 African nations.
59th BRO Raising Day
- Border Roads Organisation is celebrating its 59th Raising Day . BRO is a leading road construction agency under the Ministry of Defence with a primary role of providing road connectivity in border areas
- The BRO has also constructed roads in friendly foreign countries like Bhutan, Myanmar, Afghanistan etc. thus contributing towards our strategic objectives in the region.
MNRE holds ‘Chintan Baithak’ with the stakeholders of Renewable Energy (RE) sector
- MNRE held a ‘Chintan Baithak’ with the stakeholders of Renewable Energy sector .
- The ‘Baithak’ was chaired by Secretary, MNRE, Shri Anand Kumar and saw good participation from RE sector including the representatives of major RE developers, equipment manufacturers, financers, regulators, think-tanks, industry bodies and skill developers. (Read more…)
Meeting of the 15th Finance Commission with the Reserve Bank of India
- The fifteenth Finance Commission headed by Chairman, Shri N.K. Singh today held a definite gathering with the Governor and Deputy Governors of RBI in Mumbai.
- Key issues raised by RBI Governor, Shri Shaktikanta Das and Finance Commission Chairman, Shri N.K. Singh were discussed in detail at the meeting. These issues included the following:–
CBIC organises meeting of Regional Heads of Customs Administration of Asia Pacific Region of the WCO in Kochi
- CBIC is organising a meeting of the Regional Heads of Customs Administration of Asia Pacific Region of the World Customs Organisation in Kochi from 08thto 10th May, 2019.
- India is hosting this meeting in its capacity as Vice Chair of the Asia Pacific region that it assumed on 1stJuly, 2018 for a two-year period.
India CEO forum organized to share best practices and facilitate cross-learning on climate change issues.
- India CEO Forum on Climate Change organized by Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change , as the pioneering initiative of the government, inviting industry representatives, exchanged views on climate change issues and discussed opportunities to collaborate in regard to fulfilling India’s national as well as international climate change commitments.
Sanskrit is the invaluable window to Indian cultural treasure house: Vice President
- The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu has complimented students from Karnataka, for learning Sanskrit and trekking up to 12,000 feet on Himalayas and hoisting the Sanskrit Flag as part of ‘Sahyadri to Himadri’ expedition.
- As many as 46 students, including girls from Vasavi Primary and High School at Shivamogga called on the Vice President to share their experiences. (Read more…)
Finance Commission meets Bankers and Financial Institutions in Mumbai
The Chairman, Shri N.K. Singh, Members and Senior Officials of the 15th Finance Commission met a large group of Bankers and Heads of Financial Institutions in Mumbai. Salient points raised by banks during their meeting with 15th Finance Commission on 9th May 2019.
15th Finance Commission concludes its two-day visit to Mumbai
The 15th Finance Commission addressed the media in Mumbai today, briefing them about the discussions that took place in the Commission’s meetings with RBI, banks and eminent economists during the Commission’s two-day visit to the city during May 8 – 9, 2019.
IN Ships Kolkata and Shakti undertake Group Sail with Naval Ships of Japan, Philippines and the USA
IN Ships Kolkata and Shakti carried out Group Sail with naval ships of Japan, Philippines and the United States of America in the South China Sea from 03 May to 09 May 19.
CBIC organises meeting of Regional Heads of Customs Administration of Asia Pacific Region of the WCO in Kochi
- CBIC is organising a meeting of the Regional Heads of Customs Administration of Asia Pacific Region of the WCO in Kochi from 08thto 10th May, 2019.
- The meeting will check out the advancement being made in conveying forward the projects and activities of WCO to advance, encourage and secure the cross-fringe exchange the area and the limit building and specialized help required to accomplish this objective. (Read more…)
A high level team of ASI officials visits Shree Jagannath Temple, Puri and Sun Temple, Konark to assess the damage caused by cyclone Fani
- A high level team of Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) officials led by DG ASI, Smt. Usha Sharma is on a visit to Odisha to assess the nature and quantum of damage caused by cyclone Fani to Shree Jagannath Temple, Puri and Sun Temple, Konark.
- The team visited the Konark in forenoon on 10thMay 2019. The team observed that by and large there is no structural damage to the Monument.
WTO Ministerial Meeting of Developing Countries in New Delhi
- A WTO Ministerial meeting of developing countries is being hosted by India in New Delhi on 13-14 May 2019. Sixteen developing countries, Six Least Developed Countries (LDC)(Argentina, Bangladesh, Barbados, Benin, Brazil, etc WTO are participating in the meeting.
- Ministers from Bangladesh, CAR and South Africa have confirmed their participation. Vice Ministers, senior officials and ambassadors willbe representing other countries.
Georgian an-12 aircraft forced to land at Jaipur by IAF interceptors
- An unknown aircraft entered Indian Air Space in North Gujarat Sector at 1515 hrs with its IFF ‘on’.
- The aircraft did not follow the authorized ATS route and was not responding to Radio calls from Indian controlling agencies.
20th Conference of RHCA of Asia Pacific Region of the WCO concludes in Kochi
- Three Day Conference took stock of the progress made in carrying forward the programmes and initiatives of WCO to promote, facilitate and secure cross-border trade in the Region and the capacity building and technical assistance required by Member Administrations to achieve these goals among others.
- The CBIC had organised a Conference of the Regional Heads of Customs Administration of Asia Pacific Region of the WCO in Kochi from 08thto 10th May, 2019. (Read more…)
First Apache Helicopter formally given over to The IAF
- First AH-64E (I) – Apache Guardian helicopter was formally given over to the Indian Air Force at Boeing creation office in Mesa, Arizona, USA on 10 May 19.
- Air Marshal AS Butola, spoke to the Indian Air Force and acknowledged the main Apache in a service at Boeing generation office, agents from US Government were likewise present.
Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu calls for strengthening of India-Vietnam ties
- On the penultimate day of his four-day official visit to Vietnam, the Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu continued his high-level engagement by holding talks with Vietnam’s Prime Minister.
- The Vice President, who is scheduled to deliver the keynote address at the 16th UN Day of Vesak Celebrations on May 12, reiterated during his talks with the Prime Minister that cordial and friendly relations between India and Vietnam have been strengthened by bonds of Buddhism and Hinduism. (Read more…)
Consumer Price Index Numbers on Base 2012=100 for Rural, Urban and Combined for the Monthof April 2019
- The CSO, Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation has revised the Base Year of the CPI from 2010=100 to 2012=100 with impact from the arrival of records for the long stretch of January 2015.
- In this press note, the CPI on Base 2012=100 is being released for the month of April 2019. In addition to this, CFPI for all India Rural, Urban and Combined are also being released for April 2019.
DRDO Successfully Conducts Flight Test of ABHYAS
- DRDO directed effective flight trial of ABHYAS – High-speed Expendable Aerial Target from Interim Test Range, Chandipur in Odisha The flight test was tracked by various RADARS & Electro Optic Systems and proved its performance in fully autonomous way point navigation mode.
- The configuration of ABHYAS is designed on an in-line small gas turbine engine and uses indigenously developed MEMS based navigation system for its navigation and guidance.
Social Science Researchers must focus on Societal Problems: Vice President
- The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu has called upon social science researchers to come up with innovative and out-of-box solutions to address various problems confronting the world from eradicating poverty to achieving sustainable development.
- Speaking at the Golden Jubilee Celebrations of the ICSSR, the Vice President said the objective of every research outcome should be to better the lives of the people.(Read more…)
India to co-chair Consultative Group of Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery
- India is unanimously chosen as co-chair of the CG of GFDRR for the fiscal year 2020.
- The CG Meeting was co-chaired by ACP Group of States, the European Union and World Bank. Additionally, GFDRR in cooperation with the UNDRR and the EU is also organizing the 4th edition of World Reconstruction Conference on May 13-14, 2019.
Indian Navy will lead the First Indian Navy Entrance Test for Officers in September 2019
- The Indian Navy is presenting PC based examination for the choice of Direct Entry Officers after graduation. The first Indian Navy Entrance Test, ie. INET, is scheduled in September 2019 in various centres across the country.
- INET will be used for screening for Permanent Commission and Short Service Commission Officer contender for each former student segment other than those that are screened by UPSC or University Entry Scheme.
Jaisalmer gets Ready to Host International Army Scout Masters Competition 2019
- Global Army Scout Masters Competition as a piece of International Army Games will be sorted out under the aegis of Konark Corps at Jaisalmer from 24 July to 17 August 2019.
- The occasion will observer cooperation of the Mechanized Infantry Scout Teams of eight nations including Russia who is the establishing individual from this organization of International Army Games.
- Working collectively to strengthening the WTO to promote development and inclusivity We reaffirm the pre-eminence of the WTO as the global forum for trade rules setting and governance.
- We note with concern the multiple challenges confronting the rules-based multilateral trading system and agree to work together with all WTO Members to strengthen the WTO.
Trainees Officer of the Indian Foreign Service Call on the President
- Officer trainees of the Indian Foreign Service (2018 batch), as well as two officer trainees from the Royal Bhutan Foreign Service, called on the President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, (May 14, 2019) at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- Addressing the officer trainees, the President said that India’s role and influence in the international arena is expanding.(Read more..)