UNITED NATION DAY
United Nation History and activities
- In its general assembly in 1948 UN adopted United Nation Day to be observed on 24th October annually to commemorate the establishment of United Nation Organization (UNO).
- In 1945 after the World War II there were only destructions and the world wanted peace, 51 countries gather in San Francisco to sign UN Charter a decision to create United Nation Organization.
- What is United Nation?
United Nation is an International organization created to maintain order and peace among the countries, it also aids in creating a sustainability around the world.
- Currently, there are 193 UN countries or UN associated countries and United Nation Headquarters is in New York City.
- UN 73rd Anniversary or United Nation day 2018 will be on 24 October 2018, Wednesday.
- UN’s core function is to maintaining World Peace and Security
- UN is also responsible for maintaining international Law and order.
- With the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was drafted in 1948, UN was entrusted to protect Human Rights.
- To cope up with the aftermath of World War II, UN became the major support for Humanitarian Aid.
- UN has taken the task of achieving sustainable development across the goal by 2030.
- Due to the regulations of UN Charter UN can take actions for peacekeeping, climate change, gender inequality, governance, food production, health emergencies etc.
- UN hosts General Assembly, social and economic council and other committees to provide a global platform for the member states to interact, express and negotiate.
UN sustainable development Goals
UN came up with 17 sustainable development goals as a plan for sustaining mankind lives by 2030, this is adopted by all 193-member states.
The goal address problems like Poverty, Hunger, Health, Education, Gender inequality, Clean water, affordable and clean energy, Decent employment opportunities, Industrial Growth, reduced Inequalities, Improved cities and communities, Nutritious food consumption and production, climate changes, preservation of aquatic creatures, wildlife, law & order, and coordination between the nation.
Fund Raising and Development Programs:
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
- United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat)
- United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
- World Food Programme (WFP)
UN Specialized Agencies:
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
- International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
- International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
- International Labor Organization (ILO)
- International Monetary Fund (IMF)
- International Maritime Organization (IMO)
- International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) is the United Nations
- Universal Postal Union (UPU)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
- World Bank
- United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS)
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD)
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
- United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA)
- UN Women
UN and India
- India is one of the 51 core members states of UNO. Over the years India and UN’s relationship has developed significantly, UN’s 26 agencies have a presence in India.
- UN has aided India’s development and India is also an active member in participating in UN’s activities like India played a major role in establishing the sustainable development goals, maintain Human rights, Un peacekeeping force and more.
- Mahatma Gandhi’s Ideologies of non-violence and peacekeeping methods have a great influence on UN
UN day Activities
- This year’s concert of UN day theme 2018 is “Tradition of Peace and Non-Violence” sponsored by Permanent Mission India to United Nation.
- UN organizes conceptual Photo competition where thousands will take part to display their works and exhibitions are also conducted.
- Many UN day school activities like competition, workshops, seminars and other are organized as a part of UN day celebration in schools.
UN contribution for maintaining world peace and its development is immense, Himalai IAS coaching wants to show its gratitude on this United Nation day as a part of Our India with world events.