INTERNATIONAL DAY OF SOUTH SOUTH COOPERATION
- International day of south south cooperation is celebrated on 12th September every year by 138 state members to commemorate the adoption of “Buenos Aires Plan of Action for Promoting and Implementing Technical Cooperation among Developing Countries”.
- The Resolution 58/220 of General Assembly of UN agreed to observe “International day of south south cooperation” annually to promote agenda of south-south cooperation. In turn it is also known as United nations day of south south cooperation.
- The all-around development achieved by the developing countries recognized and celebrated.
- More developing countries are encouraged to collaborate and share their technology and other advancements with each other.
History of South South cooperation:
- South South Cooperation represents the collaboration of the south developing countries (Africa-Asia) to work in solidity to achieve the goal of world development.
- It creates economic ties, political ties and social ties to improve the interrelations between the countries through knowledge, skill and resource sharing.
- The History of South South Cooperation can be dated back to 1949 when the first UN technical aid programme was created under the initiative of Economic and Social Council.
- South South Cooperation was created by UN in 1978 to encourage the south- south trade and collaboration.
Few major objectives of south South Corporation:
- Encourage developing countries in finding innovative solution for the problems faced in their development and goals achievement.
- Foster the combined strength of the developing countries collaboration in exchanging views, experience, technical knowledge and resources.
- Recognizing the common difficulties faced by everyone and formulate an effective solution with coordination which can benefit all.
- Provide a global platform to enhance the communication and interrelations between the countries.
- Lending a helping hand to the least developed countries, countries facing natural calamities and other problems.
South South cooperation in India:
- The south south cooperation conducts through United Nation development Programme (UNDP) India.
- UNDP and Indian government are in a process of developing a strategic agreement for involvement south south cooperation in the technological development in India which was approved by cabinet of Government.
- South south cooperation UNDP is lending hand in India’s development by sharing the experience of other countries like about the Bangladesh planning, Women rights in Pakistan etc…
- Some of our programmes “Socio-economic impact study of HIV/AIDS”, Strengthening State Plans on Human Development and more have been redone by other countries.
- One of the best south south cooperation example is the India and African collaboration for strengthening the local Nigerian election contacted Indian election commission for advice through UNDP.
- The exchange of knowledge between the Brazilian experts focusing on the medical and aromatic plants was one of the major part of the renewable energy conference at New Delhi, which was supported by UNDP.
- The aid of UNDP plays a major role in many parts of Indian development.
International day of south south cooperation activities:
- Many events are organized to promote the exchange of development strategies between the countries
- Achievements of Countries towards the development goal are recognized and celebrated
- Exhibitions are organized to showcase the advancements in science and technologies fields
- Achieving the goals of ‘2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development’ is the prime focus of International day of south south cooperation 2018
For Challenged faced by a country, the might be a solution anywhere on globe and south south cooperation connects them, Himalai wants to convey this message on this International day of south south cooperation as a part of Our India with world events.