Sadbhavna Diwas/ Harmony Day
India is the land of diversity in cast, religion, region and language; still it is praised for its unity in nation. India is the pride for every Indian. Sadbhavan in English literally means Goodwill. Good will day is celebrated to encourage integrity, which is to forget all boundaries and be as one.
Our Former Prime Minister Sri Rajiv Gandhi was one of the Prime leaders who believed in harmony and integrity. His birth Anniversary on 20th August annually is celebrated as Communal Harmony day in India, likewise Harmony day 2018 is celebrated on 20th August 2018. Today is Rajiv Gandhi’s 74th Birth anniversary.
Rajiv Gandhi was a visionary who dreamt of a developed India. Being the son of Indira Gandhi and grandson of Jawaharlal Nehru, Leadership was in his blood. He was the youngest prime minister of India who believed that a young nation like India should be strong, free, and be first to serving mankind. In 1991 during his prime career time at the age of 47 he was assassinated and nation lost a Prominent Leader.
Rajiv Gandhi – National Sadbhavana Award:
On the occasion of Good will day in India, a chosen Indian is awarded Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana award for his/her contribution for national harmony. The award was given from year 1992 by All India congress committee including with cash of Rs.10 lakhs. Mother Teresa is among some of the major personals to receive the award and other well-known winners are as follows.
- Jagan Nath Kaul – 1995
- Lata Mangeshkar – 1996
- Sunil Dutt – 1998
- Kapila Vatsyayan -2000
- N. Subba Rao -2003
- Swami Agnivesh -2004
- Nirmala Deshpande -2006
- Hem Dutta -2007
- N Radhakrishnan -2008
- Gautam Bhai -2009
- Wahiduddin Khan -2010
- SPIC MACAY -2011
- R. Mehta -2012
- Amjad Ali Khan -2013
- Muzaffar Ali -2014
- Shubha Mudgal -2016
- Mohammad Azharuddin -2017
- Gopala Krishna -2017
- Gopalkrishna Gandhi -2018
Harmony Day Activities:
- Sadbhava Diwas is celebrated as a national festival.
- Garlands and tributes are paid at Rajiv Gandhi Veer Bhoomi by family, many congress Leaders and members.
- Thousands of followers pay their respect to their beloved Leader.
- Many events, competition, Harmony day speeches by deligates are organized is schools.
- Everything of goodwill like environment protection, conservation of resources, blood donation and many activities are done on this day.
- Some take sadbhavana diwas pledge to do good above all the differences like cast, religion and work for national integrity and peace.
Sadbhavana Diwas as a part of Our India-Our Pride event, From Himalai we also want to spread Good Will and Good Harmony to the Nation.