UN Global Road Safety Week
Every year millions of people lose their lives and millions get injured in road accidents globally; mainly due to lack of awareness about traffic rules. Himalai IAS Coaching Centre in Bangalore spread awareness about social responsibility current events for the civil service exams like IAS exams, KAS exams, IES exams, and other competitive exams. Click here to know more about Govt exams.
- UN Global Road Safety Week is celebrated in the month of May 6th -12 th to raise public awareness about traffic rules.
- The 6th UN Road Safety Week 2020 aims at raising public awareness about traffic rules, ultimately to reduce casualties due to road accidents and to save lives.
UN Global Road Safety Week Theme
The Road safety week theme is the key to achieving road safety targets. Particularly, including SDG target 3.6 to reduce road traffic deaths and injuries by 50% in 2020 and SDG target 11.2 to provide access to safe, accessible, sustainable transport systems and affordable for all by 2030 by spreading awareness.
- The to make people more aware of the traffic rules and to persuade them to follow rules while on road; the Road Safety Week is observed annually to awareness expansion among the people.
- Road Safety Week 2020 urges for “save lives”.
- The UN Global Road Safety Week 2019 Theme was “leadership for road safety”.
UN Global Road Safety Week Campaign
- Many Charitable Organizations, NGOs, and private firms across the country also organize and provide logistic support to the Road Safety Week Campaign.
- On the Road safety week celebration campaign, a variety of educational banners, safety films, pocket guides, leaflets related to the road safety and safety posters distributed to the on-road travellers.
- The Road Safety Week provides an opportunity for civil society to generate demands for strong leadership for road safety. Especially around evidence-based interventions, concrete which will save many lives and families.
Road Safety Week 2019 Campaign
- UN Global Road Safety Week 2019 Campaign namely “Save Lives – #SpeakUp” campaign works on principles of ‘Decade of Action for Road Safety 2011-2020’. Furthermore, its Decade of Action strives to avoid road traffic injuries and deaths. The studies show that it may take the lives of about 1.9 million people annually by 2020.
- Also, within governments, private companies, NGOs, international agencies, schools, universities the campaign inspires the leaders to take action for road safety.
Global Status Report on Road Safety: WHO
- Globally, road accidents are the main cause of death among people between 5years- 29years of age.
- Annually, above 1.35 million lives gone and 50 million injured in road accidents.
- Since the year 2008, India retains the questionable distinction of being world number one in road crash deaths.
- During the year 2015, India became a signatory to Brasilia Declaration on Road Safety. Particularly, where it committed to reducing 50% of its road crash deaths by 2020. However, even after 2015, the full scale of the problem in India is still unknown.
The UN Road Safety Week provides an opportunity for civil society to generate demands for strong leadership for road safety especially around evidence-based interventions, concrete which will save many lives and families.
In short, Himalai celebrates UN Global Road Safety Week 2020 to make people aware about the day by day increasing road accidents as a part of Our India With World Events.