Police Commemoration Day
Police Commemoration Day is observing on 21st October annually. Himalai IAS Coaching Centre in Bangalore spread awareness about social responsibility current events for the civil service exams like IAS exams, KAS exams, IES exams, and other competitive exams.
- Since 1960, observing the day as a remembrance to Police who were killed in Ladakh. This was during the border dispute between India and China in 1959.
- Police day also serves as a tribute to all the police who lost their lives on duty.
- Particularly, this year the Police commemoration day 2019 will be on 21st October, Monday.
Police Commemoration Day History
- In 1959 Indian police were in charge of safeguarding the 2,500-mile-long Indian border with Tibet.
- From Hot Springs in North-Eastern Ladakh, three inspection teams launched to support the Indian expedition to Lanak La ,on October 20th, 1959 .This is the southeastern boundary of Aksa Chin .
- Among the three inspection parties, members of two teams returned safely .
- While the third went missing consisting of two police constable and a porter.
- The officials mobilized next morning in search of the missing team.
- The search was with the leadership of Shri Karam Singh, 20 personnel from Intelligent Bureau (IB) and Central Reserve Police Force(CRPF).
- This is with three sections of men on foot and DCIO (Deputy Central Intelligence Officer) on horseback.
- On a hillock, the rescue team attacked by Chinese Army personnel who open fired at them.
- With no cover 10 policemen killed and 7 captured while the other three escaped.
- After 5 weeks of this incident, on November 28th, 1959 the remains of the 10 personnel returned to Indian army by Chinese.
- The cremation procedure conducted with all honors at the Hot spring. Also, a memorial erected at the same place in later years.
- In 1960 the Annual Conference of Inspectors General of Police of States and Union Territories adopted the observance of the Police Day in all police forces across the country.
Police Commemoration Day 2019
- Many policemen/Indian Police trek to the police memorial at the Hot springs to pay their respect to the lost souls.
- Since 2012, Police Day Parade is organizing every year at the national level at Police memorial Chanakyapuri, New Delhi.
- Police day celebrating across the country with various activities conducted by Police and civilian’s association.
- Police day marathon will be holding where civilians and police personnel will take part.
- Events are organizing across the country to honor the outstanding policemen for their bravery .Further, to honor the contribution of police personnel who lost their lives on duty.
- Various activities like song competitions, drama, speeches are organizing to encourage patriotism in school and college students.
The contribution of police to maintain the peace and safety of everyone in the society is immense, Himalai IAS coaching salutes their bravery on Police Commemoration Day as a part of Our India Our Pride events.