PIB(06/03/2019): UPSC Current Affairs to prepare for UPSC Exam
Prime Minister’s Office
PM Modi launches Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-dhan (PM-SYM) Yojana
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, launched the PM-SYM Yojana at Vastral in Gujarat. He also distributed the PM-SYM pension cards to select beneficiaries. Over two crore workers at three lakh Common Service Centers across the country witnessed the launch event through video conference.
- The Prime Minister dedicated PM-SYM Yojana to the forty two crore strong unorganized sector workers in the country. He said that the scheme will assure a monthly pension of Rs.3000 for the enrolled unorganized sector workers during their old age. It is for the first time since independence that such a scheme is envisaged for the crores of workers engaged in the informal sector.
If you want to Know about the Scheme Aims, Features and Significance of the Scheme here is way Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-dhan (PM-SYM) Yojana get Complete Information
Ministry of Commerce & Industry
Transport and Marketing Assistance (TMA) for Specified Agriculture Products Notified
- Department of Commerce of the Ministry of Commerce & Industry has notified a scheme for Transport and Marketing Assistance (TMA) for Specified Agriculture Products.
- The “Transport and Marketing Assistance” (TMA) for specified agriculture products scheme aims to provide assistance for the international component of freight and marketing of agricultural produce.
- Applicability: The Scheme would be applicable for a period as specified from time to time. Presently the Scheme would be available for exports effected from 1.3.2019 to 31.03.2020
- Eligibility of Products: The assistance will be provided on export of all agriculture products covered in HSN chapter 1 to 24 including marine and plantation products except those mentioned in Annexure.
Ministry of Commerce & Industry
INDIA-US Trade Issues
- United States of America has given a 60-day withdrawal notice to India on the Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) benefits extended by US.
- Since the review initiated by the US in April 2018 on India’s GSP benefits, India and US have been discussing various trade issues of bilateral interest for a suitable resolution on mutually acceptable terms.
- In India’s case the GSP concessions extended by the US amounted to duty reduction of only USD 190 million per annum.
- India’s trade weighted average tariffs are 7.6%, which is comparable with the most open developing economies, and some developed economies.
Ministry of Defence
Permanent Commission to Women
- Ministry of Defence has taken steps to ensure implementation of announcement by the Prime Minister on 15th August, 2018 regarding grant of Permanent Commission to Women officers in the Armed Forces.
- Indian Air Force is concerned, all Branches, including Fighter Pilots are now open for women officers.
- Indian Navy all non sea going Branches/Cadre/Specialisation have been opened for induction of women officers through Short Service Commission.
- Women officers will be granted Permanent Commission in the Indian Army in all the ten branches where women are inducted for Short Service Commission.
Ministry of Defence
CURTAIN RAISER: AL NAGAH 2019
- Exercise Al Nagah III, third in the series of bilateral joint exercise between India and Oman is scheduled to be held from 12 to 25 March 2019 at Jabel Al Akhdar Mountains in Oman.
- India-Oman bilateral security ties have continued to develop since the beginning of India-Oman Joint Military Cooperation meetings in 2006.
- Exercise Al Nagah III follows the first two joint exercises that were held in Oman in January 2015 and India in March 2017 respectively.
- The Indian Army contingent is going to be represented by 04 Officers, 09 Junior Commissioned Officers and 47 other ranks of 10th Battalion of the Garhwal Rifles.
Ministry of Finance
Government of India and World Bank Sign $250 Million Agreement for the National Rural Economic Transformation Project
- The World Bank and the Government of India signed here today in New Delhi a $250 Million Agreement for the National Rural Economic Transformation Project.
- A Key Focus of the Project will be to promote women-owned and women-led farm and non-farm enterprises across value chains; enable them to build businesses that help them access finance, markets and networks; and generate employment.
- The National Rural Economic Transformation Project (NRETP) is an additional financing to the $500 million National Rural Livelihoods Project (NRLP) approved by the World Bank in July 2011.
- The NRLP which is currently being implemented across 13 states, 162 districts and 575 blocks.
Ministry of Home Affairs
Union Home Minister launches Smart Fencing on Indo-Bangladesh border
- Two pilot projects covering about 71 Kms on Indo-Pakistan Border (10 Kms) and Indo-Bangladesh Border (61 Kms) of Comprehensive Integrated Border Management System (CIBMS) have been completed.
- The Stage has been set now for taking up Stage-II and Stage-III covering about 1955 Kms of the border which cannot be physically fenced.
- Rajnath Singh said earlier in the month of September, 2018, two pilot projects of “smart” border fencing built under the CIBMS programme in Jammu were operationalised.
- Ministry of Home Affairs has decided to use technological solutions to enhance capabilities of manpower of Border Security Force.
NITI Aayog to hold Conference on implementing SDGs in Aspirational Districts
- Linking the Transformation of Aspirational Districts Programme with India’s pursuit of the global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the NITI Aayog is organizing a conference on implementation of SDGs in Aspirational Districts.
- NITI Aayog is also felicitating eighteen fast moving Aspirational Districts, who will receive supplementary funds on the basis of delta rankings calculated in November 2018 to January 2019 on the Champions of Change dashboard.
- These delta rankings reflect overall improvements made across sectors and sector specific ranks in the domains of Health & Nutrition, Agriculture & Water Resources, Education, Skill Development & Financial Inclusion and Basic Infrastructure.