PIB (31/05/2019): UPSC Current affairs to prepare for UPSC exam
Restructuring of Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation (MoSPI)
- To clarify on the recent media reports covering the internal restructuring of MoSPI ,press release issued. Under the Chairpersonship of Dr. C. Rangarajan, the National Statistical Commission had recommended for the creation of National Statistical Office (NSO) headed by a National Statistician, with appropriate autonomy and independence for producing Official Statistics.
- For restructuring, the administrative, coordination and planning activities of MoSPI have brought into NSO, which is headed by CSI & Secretary, for providing necessary administrative support to the statistical activities of MoSPI.
- The internal restructuring of MoSPI is to strengthen the national statistical system while maintaining its autonomy. For statistical data distribution MoSPI has revised its guidelines and data are now made available to all users, free of cost.
Severe Heat Wave conditions over plains of Northwest India
- As a result of not having any thundershower activity for the last 4-5 days, rise in maximum temperatures by around 2-4 °C were experienced over parts of Northwest India.
- Till 3 June advection of heat from west, subsidence over the region and lack of Rain/Thunderstorm activity will lead to further rise .
- Heat waves warnings for next 4-5 days for Jammu area during next 72 hours, East Uttar Pradesh, West Uttar Pradesh, West Rajasthan , East Rajasthan, Haryana, Delhi NCR, Punjab and Chandigarh with maximum temperature touching 46-47 °C at isolated pockets.
MMTC achieves record performance during 2018-19
- During the year 2018-19, revenue from operations increased by 76% to Rs 28979 crore from Rs 16451 crore during last year.
- The company has reported Profit after Tax of Rs 108.72 crore as against Rs 37.52 crore during last year. MMTC has further recommended dividend @30% on paid up equity shares capital for the year 2018-19.
- The President of India has appointed Shri Narendra Damodardas Modi to be the Prime Minister of India. As advised by the Prime Minister, The President has appointed the Members of the Union Council of Ministers:- Cabinet Ministers, Ministers of State (Independent Charge),Ministers of State.
- In the ceremony held in Rashtrapati Bhavan today (30.05.2019),The President directed the Oaths of Office and Secrecy to the Members of the Council of Ministers.