PIB (22/06/2019): UPSC Current affairs to prepare for UPSC exam
5th International Yoga Day celebrated by Department of Atomic Energy
- 5th International Yoga Day(IDY) 2019 themed ‘ Yoga by Gateway’ was celebrated with a tagline ‘Festival of Yoga and Wellbeing.’ at the OYC lawns in the picturesque background of Gateway of India at the Department of Atomic Energy.
- Atomic Energy Recreation club organized and President Shri Abhay Kumar led the program. This year Yoga celebration focussed to celebrate it in an environmentally sustainable and eco-friendly manner.
IIIDEM (ECI) organizes the Capacity Building Program on ‘Electoral Technology’ for Election Officials of Myanmar.
- Five-day training program on the Use of Technology in Elections for Election Officials of Union Election Commission of Myanmar organized by the India International Institute of Democracy and Election Management (IIIDEM) (ECI).
- Election Commissioner Shri. Sushil Chandra stressed the importance of the need for sharing the best practices of election among the Election Management Bodies to strengthen democracy around the world and bring trust and fairness in the electoral process through the use of technology.
Procurement, Marketing, Storage, Preservation and Distribution of Foodgrains
- Shri. Shanta Kumar, Hon’ble Member of Parliament conducted a High-Level Committee(HLC) on the restructuring of the Food Corporation of India(FCI) and reviewed the existing system of procurement, marketing, storage, preservation and distribution of foodgrains.
- This department charged the National Institution for Transforming India(NITI) Aayog to take on a comprehensive study for evaluation of the Decentralized Procurement (DCP) Scheme for wheat/paddy under Minimum Support Price (MSP).
Insurance Cover for Risk-Prone Crops
- In order to measure and quantify the adverse effects of the climatic change on agriculture government has conducted several studies in centers such as Indian Agricultural Research Institute at New Delhi, Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi, Indian Institute of Horticultural Research, Bangalore, etc. and State Agricultural Universities.
- To provide security to farmers government is providing crop insurance schemes namely, Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) provides comprehensive risk coverage from pre-sowing to post-harvest losses against non-preventable natural risks and Restructured Weather Based Crop Insurance Scheme (RWBCIS) provides indemnification for likely crop losses due to deviation in weather indices.
Technology for Crop Damage Assessment
- There are 8 agencies under the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare, through Mahalanobis National Crop Forecast Centre (MNCFC) to accomplish pilot studies under Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) in various states including Andhra Pradesh.
- The Pilot Study was conducted for paddy crop in West Godavari district during Kharif 2018 and the study is being conducted in East Godavari and Krishna districts during Rabi 2018-19 and the studies show the possibility of reducing the number of CCEs up to 25-70% (depending upon crops and location), through the use of technology.
US-India trade issues
- For Steel and Aluminium, the US imposed an additional tariff of 25% and 10% respectively on a global basis. While India’s steel export in the affected lines to the US declined by 35% during the FY 2018-19 compared to FY 2017-18, aluminum export in the affected lines have increased by 14% during the same period.
- This information was given by the Minister of Commerce and Industry, Piyush Goyal, in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha.
GST Council decisions on rate changes on supply of good and services
- The 35th GST Council Meeting was held under the chairmanship of Union Finance & Corporate Affairs Minister Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman.
- Union Minister of State for Finance & Corporate Affairs Shri Anurag Thakur besides Revenue Secretary Shri Ajay Bhushan Pandey attended the meeting.
On issues relating to GST concessions of Electric Vehicles, Solar Power Generating Systems, and Wind Turbines, Lottery, the issue will be examined in the next Fitment Committee.
Janani Suraksha Yojana
- Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY) is a protected parenthood mediation under the National Health Mission (NHM). Propelled with the target of diminishing maternal and neonatal mortality, it advances institutional conveyance among pregnant ladies, particularly with low financial status.
- BPL pregnant ladies, who like to convey at home, are qualified for a money help of Rs 500 for every conveyance paying little mind to the period of ladies and the number of youngsters.
National Family Health Survey/Annual Health Surveys
- 4 rounds of National Family Health Survey (NFHS) were led in the nation during 1992-93(NFHS 1), 1998-99 (NFHS 2), 2005-06 (NFHS-3) and 2015-16 (NFHS-4) with the specialized help of International Institute for Population Sciences, Mumbai.
- In NFHS-1, the Srinagar district of Jammu and Kashmir was not secured because of Law and Order circumstance and Sikkim was additionally not secured as fundamental parameters for test choice were not accessible.
Ability Development Programs for Socially and Economically Backward Categories
- The Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship actualizes the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (2016 – 2020) to energize and advance expertise improvement for the young all through the nation.
- The advantages under the plan can be benefited by anybody satisfying the criteria determined in rules including Scheduled Castes (SCs), Scheduled Tribes (STs) and Other Backward Classes (OBCs).
Foundation of ‘Gokul Grams’ Under Rashtriya Gokul Mission
- Assets have been endorsed under Rashtriya Gokul Mission for setting up of 21 Gokul Grams as Integrated Cattle Development Centers. As on date, 4 Gokul grams (Varanasi, Mathura, Patiala, and Phora) have been finished and work is under advancement in outstanding 17 Gokul grams.
- 17,86,651 ranchers and 29160 associations have been associated through e PashuHaat Portal.