PIB (18/02/2020): UPSC Current affairs to prepare for UPSC Exam
Inauguration of 13th COP to the Convention on Migratory Species in Gandhinagar, Gujarat
- India is one of the most diverse countries of the world with 2.4% of the world’s land area, with about 8% of the known global biodiversity.
- Besides, India’s forest cover increase significantly with total forest cover is 21.67% of the total geographical area of the country.
- Further, India is honored to host the 13th Conference of Parties to the Convention on Migratory Species at Gandhinagar.
Election Commission of India gets the ‘Silver’ award for Excellence in Government Process re-engineering for digital transformation.
- The Election Commission of India receives the ‘Silver’ award for Excellence in Government Process re-engineering for digital transformation for the year 2019-20.
- The award seeks to recognize the projects involving analysis and re-design of workflow resulting in improvement of efficiency.
- Besides, ERONET is a common database for all States and UTs with data of 91 crore electors.
Secretary, Agriculture & FW, Shri Sanjay Agarwal inaugurates 4th National Conference on Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana in Udaipur
- The two-day long 4th National Conference on Review of Implementation of Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) in Udaipur
- Subsequently, Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, inaugurate the conference with 140 members representing different banks.
- The current format of the scheme requires the active participation of three different sectors: the State Governments, the Banking sector, and the Insurance sector.
Scheme of Soil health card Completes 5 years on 19-2-2020
- The International year of soils was celebrated in 2015 with India’s unique program of the soil health card.
- Besides, The objectives of the Soil Health Card Scheme is to issue soil health cards to farmers every 2 years so as to provide a basis to address nutritional deficiencies in fertilization practices.
- Meanwhile, Soil testing is developed to promote soil testing based on nutrient management.
Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh wholeheartedly welcomes Supreme Court’s judgment on Permanent Commission for women in Army
- Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh welcomes the Supreme Court’s judgment on Permanent Commission for women in the Army.
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi supports the idea of the permanent commission for women and announces the change in policy.
- As of January 2019, 3.89 % of the army personnel comprise women, while 6.7%of the navy and 13.28% are of air force personnel.
Presidency of UN body on Migratory Species for 3 years
- Especially, The Thirteenth Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Migratory Species kicked off in Gandhinagar
- Further, Conservation of wildlife and habitats part of the cultural ethos of India for ages: Prime Minister
- Union Environment Minister says COP in India will mark the start of focused attention to migratory species and their habitats
The project of World Bank to Improve Groundwater Management in the Select States of India
- The Government of India and the World Bank signed a $450 million loan agreement to support the national program strengthening groundwater institutions.
- Besides, The World Bank-supported Atal Bhujal Yojana (ABHY) National Groundwater Management Improvement Programme with an implementation in 78 districts.
- Studies indicate that a 1% increase in the area irrigated with groundwater leads to a 2.2 percent increase in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.