PIB (13/03/2020): UPSC Current affairs to prepare for UPSC Exam
Tour of Rashtrapati Bhavan to remain closed from tomorrow as a precautionary measure against the spread of coronavirus
- The Rashtrapati Bhavan will remain closed for tourist visits. This will be from 13th March 2020, until further notice.
- Chiefly, the action was taken as a precautionary measure against the spread of COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus.
- Moreover, the Rashtrapati Bhavan Museum Complex (RBMC), as well as the Change of Guard ceremony, will not be open to the public until further notice.
On the occasion of 130th Foundation Day of National Archives of India an exhibition named “Jallianwala Bagh” inaugurated in New Delhi
- On the occasion of 130th Foundation Day of National Archives of India (NAI), an exhibition named “Jallianwala Bagh” inaugurated. Till 30 April 2020, the exhibition will remain open for public viewing.
- Joint Secretary of Ministry of Culture Shri P.L. Sahu inaugurated an exhibition Jallianwala Bagh at the premises of National Archives, New Delhi.
- Based on the original documents, this exhibition is an endeavor to commemorate the centenary of Jallianwala Bagh Massacre covering a period from (1915-50).
Assistance to Indian Citizens for Quarantine at air Force Station Hindan
- Indian citizens in countries like China (Wuhan) and Iran evacuated by Indian Air Force C-17 aircraft on two occasions due to the large scale prevalence of the Corona Virus around the world.
- A total of 57 pilgrims from the Ladakh region visited Quom, Iran for pilgrimage, brought by C-17 aircraft on 10 March 2020 to Air Force Station Hindan on the second occasion. These consisted of 33 women, 02 children, and 22 men.
- Established quarantine facility at AF Stn Hindan for these pilgrims which has all required facilities for rest and recuperation.
Parliament Passes The Mineral Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2020
- The Parliament passed the Mineral Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2020. Mainly for amendments in Mines & Mineral (Development and Regulation) Act 1957 and the Coal Mines (Special Provisions) Act, 2015 which promulgated on 11th January 2020.
- In fact, Rajya Sabha passed the bill 0n 12th March 2020 while Lok Sabha already passed this bill on 6th March 2020. In the Indian coal & mining sector the Mineral Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2020, will open a new era especially to promote Ease of Doing Business.
- Union Coal & Mines Minister Sh. Pralhad Joshi conveyed that the Bill will transform the mining sector in the country.
Plantation of Trees along National Highways
- As per IRC:SP:21:2009 and Green Highways Policy, 2015 the plantation is carried out on available ROW through a contractor as BOQ item.
- Especially, NHAI planted more than 1.43 crore trees under its jurisdiction in the country during the last three years.
- The Green Highways Policy, 2015, promotes greening of Highway corridors. Together with the participation of the community, farmers, private sector, NGOs, government agencies and the Forest Department.
Vice President calls for giving more weightage to sports in college admissions and employment
Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu on 12th March 2020 called for giving more weightage to sports in admissions to educational institutions and in providing employment.
- While addressing the Punjab University sportsperson who won the Khelo India University Games. Further, the Vice President informed that ‘Fit India’ should become people’s movement.
- Also, Vice President appreciated the government for launching programs like Khelo India, Fit India, Yoga, which makes India healthy and which helps to fight the spread of lifestyle diseases.
Piped Water Supply
- Among 17.87 Crore rural households, around 3.27 Crore rural households were with tap connections. Around 14.60 Crore rural households were to be provided with tap connections as reported by States/ UTs as on 01.04.2019,
- The government of India, in partnership with the States, has launched Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM). In order to enable every rural household in the country to have potable water at the service level of 55 litres per capita per day (lpcd). Particularly, through Functional Household Tap Connection (FHTC) by 2024.
- Chiefly, the Operational Guidelines for the implementation of Jal Jeevan Mission released on 25th December 2019. Also, the same is available on the website“https://jalshakti-ddws.gov.in/sites/default/files/JJM_Operational_Guidelines.pdf”.