PIB (10/12/2019): UPSC Current affairs to prepare for UPSC Exam
Parliament passed The Recycling of Ships Bill, 2019
- For Safe and Environmentally Sound Recycling of Ships in India, parliament passed “The Recycling of Ships Bill 2019’’ on 9th December 2019.
- Specifically, this bill passing is a historical moment in the Indian Maritime arena.
- During the event, Union Minister of State for Shipping (I/C), Shri Mansukh Mandaviya conveyed India is a leader in the global ship recycling industry.
NITI Aayog Report on Water Crisis
- NITI Aayog published the report titled “Composite Water Management Index” in June 2018. The report shows that India is facing the worst water crisis in its history.
- In particular, the report states that India is placed at 120th amongst 122 countries in the water quality index.
- According to the 5th Minor Irrigation Census held by the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation found 20.52 million wells in the country.
Curtain Raiser on Human Rights Day
- In order to commemorate the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), Human Rights Day celebrates on the 10th December every year.
- Particularly, the UDHR adopted by the UN General Assembly in 1948. It recognizes that the inherent dignity and the equal and inalienable rights of mankind are the foundation of justice, freedom and peace in the world.
- Chiefly, the commission organized a function in New Delhi on Tuesday, the 10th December 2019. Especially, to celebrate Human Rights Day. Mr Ram Nath Kovind, President of India.
Lok Sabha passes the Arms (Amendment) Bill, 2019
- Arms (Amendment) Bill, 2019, Lok Sabha passed on 9th December 2019. It seeks to enhance the punishment for existing offences like illegal manufacture, sale, transfer, etc.
- Also, the Bill seeks to enhance the period of arms license from three years to five years. Further to issue arms license in its electronic form to prevent forgery.
- In order to provide effective deterrence against violation of the law, there is an urgent need to strengthen the existing legislative framework. In particular, by making appropriate amendments in the Arms Act, 1959.
‘Green Good Deeds’ to promote environmental awareness and to mobilize people’s participation.
- The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change coordinates a Central Sector Scheme namely ‘Environment Education, Awareness and Training’.
- Besides, the objective is to promote environmental awareness among all sections of society and to mobilize people’s participation in the conservation of the environment.
- Consequently, the establishment of about one lakh, fifty thousand Eco clubs took place in schools/colleges across the country.
Efforts to enhance the ecological sustainability of India and address climate change.
- ‘The Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate’ shifts in species composition, abundance, and biomass production of ecosystems, from the equator to the poles by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).
- According to modeling studies, temperatures in the upper Indus, Ganges, and Brahmaputra basins are to increase between 1 to 2°C up until 2050.
- Besides, NAPCC National Action Plan on Climate Change comprises, inter alia, of eight National Missions including National Mission for Sustaining the Himalayan Eco-system (NMSHE).
Government introduces 33 tranches of Sovereign Gold Bonds
- The Government Sovereign Gold Bonds (SGB) Scheme introduced in November 2015.
- Subsequently, SGBs provides as a substitute for physical gold to investors.
- Further, this is a reply by Shri Anurag Singh Thakur to a question in Lok Sabha.
GST Seva Kendras resolve complaints related to GST
- CBECMITRA, established to resolve taxpayer grievances relating to Goods & Service Tax (GST).
- Further, Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN) has a helpdesk to redress taxpayer grievances regarding the GST portal.
- Besides, Various retail institutions overcharging customers and producing inflated bills were reported.
4 Airports/Airstrips & 6 Water Aerodromes up for Bidding under UDAN 4.0
- Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) invited bids for 3 unserved airports/airstrips and 1 underserved airport/airstrip under UDAN.
- Consequently, The ministry has also recognized 6 Water Aerodromes in Andaman & Nicobar and Lakshadweep Island.
- Similarly, The Ministry of Home Affairs trying to promote the route Cochin-Agatti-Cochin further, intends more airlines to operate this route.
138 monuments identified by Archaeological Survey of India must to see
- Meanwhile, the Archaeological Survey of India has identified 138 numbers of monuments as Must See in its portal.
- There are 38 World Heritage Sites in India in that 22 are under the protection of Archaeological Survey of India
- Shri Prahlad Singh Patel the Minister of State (I/c) of Culture and Tourism gave written reply in the Lok Sabha.
Seven Zonal Cultural Centers set up by The Government of India to promote inter-State cultural development program
- To promote the inter-State cultural development program, the Government is taking steps to increase harmony among people.
- subsequently, Seven Zonal Cultural Centres (SCC) has set up to protect, preserve & promote various forms of folk art and culture.
- Further, The Ministry of Culture organizes festivals through Indian Missions abroad to promote Indian Culture.
India needs Speedier Expansion of International Solar Alliance
- To reduce fossil fuel usage India called upon more countries to join the International Solar Alliance (ISA).
- Shri Javadekar Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change also held a bilateral meeting with the British delegation.
- Shri Javadekar also dwelt upon how earlier initiatives were made by PM Shri Narendra Modi, in the launching of ISA.