NATIONAL UNITY DAY
- The literal translation of National Unity Day in Hindi is “Rashtriya Ekta Diwas”. It is celebrated on October 31st to commemorate the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, who is responsible for uniting India post-independence.
- In 2014, Indian government introduced National Unity Day to celebrate annually as a tribute to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel and also to strengthen the national unity among the citizens.
- This year National Unity Day 2018 will be on 31st October, Wednesday.
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Information
Famous Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel’s quotes
“Manpower Without Unity Is Not Strength unless it is Harmonized and United Properly, Then It becomes Spiritual Power”
– Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
Brief Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Biography
- In 1875, Vallabhbhai Zaverbhai Patel was born in Karamsad village, Gujrat to a small landowner.
- He studied legal education in England and became a barrister. In Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel career, he was known for being fearless in pursuit of truth and fought for public
- He organized the ‘Bardoli farmers’ movement’ in 1928 and succeeded in forcing the British government to withdraw the revision in revenue rates.
- With that, he got his famous title as “Sardar” which means leader and became a prominent leader in Gujrat. Later he joined Indian National Congress.
- He played a major role in freedom struggle like satyagraha, quit India movement and more alongside Mahatma Gandhi and Jawahar Lal Nehru.
- When a new India was born after independence it became a challenge to unite India with more than 565 self-governing princely states was released by British rule.
- As the first deputy minister and minister of home affairs, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel became the Supreme Commander-in-chief of the Indian army and lead the political integration of India. He United India From Kashmir to Kanyakumari with his amazing skills and strength.
- He became the architect of Unified India and got the name “Iron Man of India” which is one of many Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel achievements.
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel died on 15th December 1950 due to a massive heart attack in Birla House in Bombay.
Role in modifying Indian Civil Services
- After Independence Sardar Patel was the mastermind in All India services creation that is Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Police Service (IPS) and Indian Forest Service (IFoS). He was given the title of “Father of modern All India Services”.
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel was a firm believer in civil service not for just maintaining law and order but also for establishing a stable society.
- He was instrumental in giving Indian civil services its authorities and always reminded them to be politically impartial.
- He called civil service to be the ‘Steel Frame’ of India for its role in administration and India’s future development.
- On the death of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, more than 1500 civil service officers mourned at his residence in New
National Unity Day Celebration
- National Unity Day is observed in the remembrance of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. On this day many pledges for upholding national unity.
- A Paramilitary March is done followed by ‘Run for Unity’ which is flagged off by Honorable Prime Minister in which students, ex-servicemen and famous personals participate.
- National unity slogan poster contest, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel essay and quiz, debate, quizzes and more competitions are conducted in schools on national Unity Day.
- A national celebration takes place for Indian Unity Day with Railways, cultural, tourism and other government sectors organize activities that encourages unity.
- The Information and Broadcasting and Housing, All India Radio and Doordarshan telecast special programs on Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- For previous year celebration, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel books (Converted to e-books) and stamps were released by the government.
- This year for National Unity Day 2018, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel statute called the ‘The Statute of Unity’ will be inaugurated.
The Statute of Unity
- The Sardar Patel statue location or the Statue of Unity location is near Vadodara in Gujarat on a river island called Sadhu Bet. The Statue is facing the Narmada
- The Statute of unity height of 182 meters makes it the tallest statue in the world.
- The statue of unity cost is estimated around 3,001crores rupees with 5,700 Mton of structural steel, 22500Mton of cement and 18,500 Mton of reinforcement bars.
- The project started on 31st October 2014 and now through 4 years of construction the statue of unity progress 2018 completed and will be inaugurated on National Unity Day 2018.
Himalai IAS coaching salutes Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel for his vision of India and for Indian civil services on this National Unity Day as a part of our India our pride events.