NATIONAL NUTRITION WEEK
- National nutrition week is a week long event conducted all over the nation to create awareness about the importance of nutritious food in everyone’s life.
- It is celebrated from 1st September to 7th September every year. It was first organized in 1982 under the flagship of the Food and Nutrition Board, Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- National Nutritional week 2018 is celebrated from this week i.e., 1st September (Sunday) to 7thSeptember (Saturday).
Malnutrition and Obesity:
- There are many children and women who are suffering from malnutrition.
- It not only shows the economic backwardness of the country but also effects the countries development which is in the hands of future generation.
- There are many reasons for malnutrition like poverty, lack of education of balanced diet, unavailability of food resources and much more.
- Without a balanced diet obesity has also become a problem which effects a person’s productivity in work as well as in personal life.
- Both malnutrition and obesity attracts many health issues and diseases which can be life threatening
A Nutritional Food List:
There are 6 essential nutrients that are the basic requirement for proper functioning of Human body. Consumption of food rich with these nutrients in balance is primary requirement to maintain a healthy body. The importance of nutrients is much more than what is described.
They fuel the body to work and are the source of energy
Sources:Rice, Wheat grains, Vegetables
They are major contributors for immunity that wards of disease
Source: Fruits, vegetables, soy milk, meat
Muscles, skin, hair,hormones and much more vital substances are made up of proteins
Sources: Egg, fish, meat, soy, nuts
Fats supports other nutrients and unsaturated fat are prime contributors of essential fatty acids
Source: Nuts, oils from seeds and vegetables, fish, milk
They support the body and some examples are calcium, zinc, iron etc.,
Source: Lentils, Mushrooms, milk, yogurt
Majority part of human body is made up of water, it detoxifies and hydrates the body
Source: Water, vegetable (like Cucumber), fruit (like watermelon, orange)
Nutrition week activities:
- On this occasion with collaboration of various state departments and NGOs events are organized in state and village level to promote healthy eating.
- Many lectures and mini exhibitions are conducted to educate people about balanced diet
- Demonstration of recipes with low cost ingredients so every household can cook nutritious food
- Awareness camps are conducted stressing on child nutrition, nutrition for pregnant women, Mother’s first milk and breast feeding till 6 months on nutrition week.
- A nutrition guide and materials that includes the list of nutritional food and ways to include them are distributed.
- Body Mass Index (BMI) and wait management information is provided to everyone
Nation nutrition week theme:
|2011||Feeding smart from the start|
|2012||Nutrition Awareness – Key to Healthy Nation|
|2013||Project Dinnertime – Cook. Eat. Enjoy|
|2015||Better Nutrition: Key to Development|
|2016||Life cycle approach for better Nutrition|
|2017||Optimal Infant & Young Child Feeding Practices: Better Child|
The National Nutrition week 2018 theme:
The theme of National Nutrition week 2018is RashtriyaPoshanMaah is a month long initiative taken by Ministry of Women and Child Development with aid of NITI aayoga and other18 departments and ministries.
It is a mission to take the ‘POSHAN Abhiyaan’ to a next step as a notional movement or people’s movement. The ‘POSHAN Abhiyaan’ or national nutrition mission was initiated on 8th march 2018 by our prime minister, a mission to tackle malnutritionby technological use and strategic approach.TheRashtriyaPoshanMaah focuses on 8 prime theme
- Antenatal Care
- Optimal Breastfeeding
- Complementary Feeding
- Growth Monitoring
- Girls-education diet
- Right age of Marriage
- Hygiene & Sanitation
- Food Fortification
Much importance is given for nutrition and well-being in not only in India but also around the World. From Himalai on this National nutrition week as a part of our India our pride events wants to encourage every individual to take a healthy and nutritious diet and promote a healthier lifestyle.