ASHA: Accredited Social Health Activist
One of the key parts of the National Rural Health Mission is to furnish each town in the nation with a prepared female community health activist, ASHA or Accredited Social Health Activist.
Chosen from the town itself and responsible to it, the ASHA will be prepared to fill in as an interface between the community and the public health system.
Following are the key components of ASHA:
- ASHA must primarily be a woman resident of the village married/ widowed/ divorced, preferably in !
the age group of 25 to 45 years.
- She should be a literate woman with due preference in selection to those who are qualified up to 10 standard whereverthey are interested and available in good numbers. This might be relaxed up just if no reasonable individual with this capability is available.
- ASHA will be picked through a rigorous procedure of choice including different local community groups, self-help groups, Anganwadi lnstitutions, the Block Nodal officer, District Nodal office; the town Health Committee and the Gram Sabha.
- Capacity working of ASHA is being viewed as a continuous procedure. ASHA should experience arrangement of preparing scenes to get the fundamental learning, aptitudes and certainty for playing out her spelled out jobs.
- The ASHAs will get execution based motivating forces for advancing all inclusive inoculation, referral and escort administrations for Reproductive and Child Health (RCH) and other medicinal services projects, and development of family unit toilets.
- Empowered with learning and a medication pack to convey first-contact medicinal services, each ASHA is required to be an origin of network interest in general wellbeing programs in her town.
- ASHA will be the primary port of require any health related requests of deprived sections of the population, particularly ladies and youngsters, who think that its hard to get to health services.
- ASHA will be a health activist in the community who will make awereness on health and its social determinants and assemble the network towards nearby health planning and expanded use and responsibility of the current health services.
- She would be an advertiser of good health practices and will likewise give a minimum package of curative care as appropriate and feasible for that level and make timely referrals.
- ASHA will give information to the community on determinants of health, for example, nutrition, basic sanitation and clean practices, sound living and working conditions, data on existing health services and the requirement for opportune use of health and family welfare services.
- She will advise ladies on birth preparedness, significance of safe delivery, breast-feeding and corresponding sustaining, immunization, contraception and prevention action of normal diseases including Reproductive Tract lnfection/Sexually Transmitted lnfections (RTls/STls) and care of the young kid,
- will prepare the community and facilitate them in getting to health and health related administrations accessible at the Anganwadi/sub-focus/essential health focuses, for example, vaccination, Ante Natal Check-up (ANC), Post Natal Check-up beneficial sustenance, sanitation and different administrations being given by the legislature.
- She will go about as a warehouse Holder for basic arrangements being made accessible to all residences like Oral Rehydration Therapy (ORS), lron Folic Acid Tablet (lFA), chloroquine, Disposable Delivery Kits (DDK), Oral Pills and Contraceptions and so forth.