Why Engineers day is celebrated?
- Engineer’s day in India is celebrated on 15th September every year to commemorate the birth anniversary of Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya, popularly known as Sir MV.
- He was one of the greatest engineers and a scholar responsible of Indian development even before independence
- He was a firm believer that India’s development is in the hands of Engineers
- Engineer’s day 2018 is observed on 15th September, Saturday.
Sir M Visvesvaraya
- In 1861 Sir MV was born into a Hindu Brahmin Family in Muddenahalli village, Chikkaballapura District, Karnataka.
- His father Mokshagundam Srinivasa Shastry was a Sanskrit scholar and his mother was Venkatalakshmamma.
- In 1881 after completing his under graduation in BA from Central College, Bangalore, he perused Diploma in civil engineering at College of Engineering, Pune.
- Sir MV started his career as an assistant engineer PWD in Bombay, many public projects were implemented under his supervision and later he was requested to join the irrigation commission.
- He was considered as a master mind in designing and implementing irrigation systems and some of his major works are weir water floodgates of Khadakvasla Reservoir in Pune, flood protection system for city of Hyderabad, sea erosion protection system for Visakhapatnam port and more.
- He served in various positions under the British rule and in 1909 he retired and joined as a chief engineer in Mysore. Krishnaraj sagar dam and many projects for all over development around Mysore were created under his guidance , which work efficiently till today
- In later years he became Diwan of Mysore (Second minister rank) and supported king of Mysore Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV, in development work
- He was responsible for establishing many Industries and organizations like Mysore Soap Factory, Mysore Iron & Steel Works Bhadravathi, Mysore Chamber of Commerce, State Bank of Mysore etc.
- Many education institutions were founded under his guidance and his vision for the development of Mysore state made him to be known as “Father of Modern Mysore state”
- For his work for public good Visvesvaraya was knighted by the British as a Knight Commander of the Order of the Indian Empire
- He was recipient of the Bharat Ratna, highest honor for Indian citizen in 1955
- He recived many honorary doctorates from universities and many institutions and industries that were founded by him were renamed after him as a tribute
- In 1962 Sir M Visvesvaraya demised at the age of 101 and a memorial was built in his hometown Muddenahalli.
Engineer’s Day celebration
- Innovative Engineer’s day celebration ideas are brought up every year with different events and activities
- Many activities like engineer day speech by students, debates and exibitions are held especially in engineering colleges to encourage students to get inspiration from Sir MV and his excellent works.
- As engineer’s day special, many Government events are held to honor exceptional engineers for their work for public
- Every year National Engineer’s day is celebrated in different themes, Engineer’s day 2018 theme is “Engineering Challenges for Knowledge Era”
Engineers are vital for any nation’s development and Sir MV is the best example to prove the significance of engineer’s. Himalai wants to wish everyone a Happy Engineer’s Day!! as a part of our India our Pride events.