International Mountain Day
International Mountain Day is on 11th December. Himalai IAS Coaching Centre in Bangalore spreads awareness about social responsibility current events for the civil service exams like IAS exams, KAS exams, IES exams, and other competitive exams.
- Himalai IAS Coaching Centre in Bangalore aims to bring awareness about the importance of the Mountain and how to protect mountain regions and environmental management.
- Over one billion people depends on mountains for water, energy, and food who live in mountain areas.
- Subsequently, mountains are the indicators of the global climate. People who live in the mountain region are the world’s hungriest and poorest, who struggle to survive.
- About 39% of the population in the mountain region in developing countries is vulnerable to food insecurity. Consequently about 27% of the earth’s land surface, mountains play a critical role in economic growth.
- This year, International Mountain Day 2019 falls on 11th December 2019,Wednesday.
International Mountain Day Theme
Every year , on the Mountain Day there will be a specific theme which signifies the importance of Mountain. International Mountain Day focuses on the challenges and opportunities in the sustainable development of the mountain.
- Furthermore, the International Mountain Day 2019 theme is Mountains matter for Youth.
- International Mountain Day 2018 theme was “Mountains Matter”.The Mountain Day 2018 signifies the importance of Mountain, to step up and raise attention to mountains.
International Mountain Day is a chance to highlight rural youth, living in the mountains.
Why International Mountain Day celebrated?
- Mountain under pressure migration, hunger highlights affecting highlands and sustainable mountain development is integrated into the 2030 Agenda.
- Significantly it is observed to create awareness about the importance of mountains to life and constraints in mountain development.
- Especially, the mountains provide 60-80% of the world’s fresh water and cover 22% of the earth’s land surface, 13% of the world’s population mountains are home. According to the United Nations food and agriculture, an organization is the stability of the mountain population.
- In particular, about 15-20 percent of the tourism industry accounts for Mountain Tourism.
- In the mountain area, many young people leave in search of a better life and employment.
- Important to realize, moving away from mountains leads to abandoned agriculture, land degradation and a loss of cultural values and ancient traditions.
- By educating and training about diverse employment opportunities, a brighter future can be ensured for young people in the mountains.
International Mountain Day Celebration.
- International Day of Mountain provides an occasion to highlight the variety and richness of mountain culture.
- The goal of International Mountain Day is to bring positive change to mountain environments around the world.
- United Nations General Assembly proclaimed December 11 from 2003 as International Mountain Day and 2002 as the year of mountains.
- Furthermore, the team of Forestry Department is responsible for water and mountains to coordinate this international process.
International Mountain Day in India
- India is home to great, diverse mountain ranges, which include the Himalayan range, the Karakoram range, the Western Ghats (Sahyadri Mountains), the Eastern Ghats, the Vindhyas, the Aravallis and the Patkai Hill Range.
- These mountains in India previously treated as a place of worship. But now it faces so many challenges regarding pollution and on many other aspects.
- So as a part of the celebration of International Mountain Day 2019 in India , to raise public awareness towards the conservation of mountains various activities are being held in India.
- Like spreading International Mountain Day Slogans, in schools and educational institutions conducting program related to raising awareness of the significance of conservation of Mountains etc.
In conclusion, Himalai IAS Coaching Centre follows Human Rights Day as a part of Our India With World Events.