International Mother’s Day
May 12th, 2019, Sunday
We are born of love and that love is our ‘Mother’
Every year, the International Mothers day is observed on the second Sunday of May. It is not an official holiday, but it is a special day to celebrate all the mothers and motherhood. Let’s take a day and appreciate the women who sacrificed many things to raise us. Also for the love and care, she gave us through our lives.
- Mother’s day 2019, Sunday
- Mother’s day 2020, Tuesday
- Mother’s day 2021, Wednesday
History of Mother’s Day
The History of Mother’s day can be dated back to the back to the ancient Greek and Rome. The Modern Mother’s Day celebrations started with a dedicated daughter Anna M. Jarvis of Philadelphia. She came up with an idea of celebrating the Mother’s day as a nationwide, national event. Everyone from villages, cities, and states well received this idea. Soon everyone started observing an unofficial Mother’s Day. Later in the year 1914, President Woodrow Wilson officially designated second Sunday in May Mother’s Day as Mother’s Day. Later, this event gained worldwide prominence.
Mother’s Day Around the World
Did you know Mother’s day is observed in 46 different countries on different dates?
The version of mother’s day and its traditions vary depending on the nations. Here are a few examples of Mother’s day celebration in different countries.
- Thailand citizen celebrates Mother’s day on the birth date of their current queen, Sirikit, which falls in August.
- People in Ethiopia have an alternate observance of Mother’s Day. In which, the whole families gather for the celebration with feast, dancing and more. This is a part of Antrosht, which is a multi-day event honoring motherhood.
- Mother’s day in the United States of America has become a great celebration by presenting mothers with gifts and flowers. It has become a holiday with high spending. On this day family member manage the cooking and household works of the day. Giving Mothers a day off from the work.
Significance of Mother’s Day
Mother’s day is not only the day to show our gratitude to our Mothers. It also has become a day which showcases women empowerment. Many events for feminist causes and launching political events takes place on this day. For example, Martin Luther King Jr’s wife Coretta Scott King lead a march to show the support for underprivileged women and children.
Mother’s Day in India
Mother’s day in India is celebrated similarly to other countries across the world. Children across the country present their mother’s gifts, flower and greeting cards as a gesture of gratitude. Many circulate Mother’s day messages and Mother’s day quotes to spread the awareness of mother’s day. So, on this day take a bit of time from your busy schedules and give your mother a gratifying day which she deserves for her sacrifices.
Himalai IAS coaching wants to spread this awareness on International Mother’s day as a part of our India with world events.
So, ’ A Happy Mother’s Day’ to all the hard working mothers around the World!