International Day of UN Peacekeepers
International Day of UN Peacekeepers celebrates on 29th May every year, Himalai IAS Coaching Center in Bangalore aims is to bring awareness about current affairs for the Civil Services Exam like IAS exam, KAS exam, banking exam and other competitive exams.
Specifically, the International Day of UN Peacekeepers 2020 falls on 29th May 2020, Friday.
Background of International Day of UN Peacekeepers
The International Day of UN Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO) was founded on May 29, 1948 assembly. The UNTSO’s task was to assist peacekeepers to observe and maintain cease-fire forces.
- The International Day of UN Peacekeepers cease-fire marked the end of the hostilities between Israel and the Arab League forces on the cease-fire. The UNTSO hostilities started after the end of the British Mandate of Palestine on 14 May 1948 to Peacekeepers.
- The UN General assembly designated May 29 as the International Day on 11 December 2002 of United Nations Peacekeepers and the day was first observed on May 29, 2003.
- The International Day of UN Peacekeepers first UN peacekeeping mission was established on 29 May 1948, when the Security Council authorized the deployment of a small number of UN military observers to the Middle East to form the United Nations Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO) to monitor the Armistice Agreement between Israel and its Arab neighbours for the development.
- The UNTSO International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers is a tribute to people who serve or have served in UN peacekeeping operations UN assembly.
International Day of UN Peacekeepers Themes
The International Day of UN Peacekeepers theme is to honour for their high level of professionalism, dedication and courage. People who died for peace are also remembered on the day.
- In 2018 the theme was International Day of UN Peacekeepers is “70 Years of Service and Sacrifice” on the incident.
- UN Peacekeepers Day 2019 Theme: “Protecting Civilians, Protecting Peace”.
- The International Day of UN Peacekeepers day offers a chance to pay tribute to the contributions of uniformed and civilian personnel to the work of the Organization and to honour more than 3,700 peacekeepers who have lost their lives serving under the UN flag since 1948, including 129 who died last year due to that.
- This year, the United Nations celebrates the 71st anniversary of UN peacekeeping, a unique and dynamic instrument developed to help countries torn by conflict create the conditions for lasting peace.
- The International peacekeepers make immense sacrifices, often serving at great personal risk and under challenging conditions every time. The families of peacekeepers and their governments share this sacrifice to stand supportive.
- The International peacekeepers day from Sierra Leone to Cambodia, Timor Leste, Namibia, El Salvador and elsewhere, United Nations Peacekeeping has helped countries transition from war to peace.
The United Nations Mission in Liberia (UNMIL) successfully completed its mandate in March 2018, becoming the 57th UN peacekeeping operation to do so. The peacekeeper’s closure of UNMIL also ended more than two decades of UN Peacekeeping in West Africa’s Mano River Basin.
In order to spread social awareness about the national events, worlds events such as International Day for UN Peacekeepers 2020, Himalai observes the day as a part of Our India With World Events.