International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence
International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict celebrates every year on 19 June around the world. Himalai IAS Coaching Centre in Bangalore spread awareness about social responsibilities current events for the civil service exams like IAS exams, KAS exams, IES exams, and other competitive exams.
The term “Conflict-related sexual violence” indicates sexual slavery, rape, forced pregnancy, forced marriage, enforced sterilization, forced prostitution and any other form of sexual violence.
- International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in conflict 2019 marks the 10th year anniversary of the establishment of the mandate and Office of the Special Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict.
- Around 10 to 20 cases go undocumented for each rape reported in connection with the conflict. This day aims to overcome the fear and cultural stigma on the issues related to sexual violence.
- The United Nations General Assembly designated International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict according to the resolution A/RES/69/293 on 19 June 2015 in order to raise public awareness on the issues related to sexual violence, to give tribute to the victims and survivors of sexual violence around the world.
- Security Council Resolution 1820(2008) chosen the date 19 June to commemorate the International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict adoption on 19 June 2008, in which council considers the sexual violence as an obstruction to build peace and as a tactic of war.
- Cross-Generational Effect: The effects of Conflict-related sexual violence reflects on the coming generations, through stigma, trauma, poverty, poor health and unwanted pregnancy. Children conceived through rape in wartime struggles with issues of identity.
- Socio-economic Reintegration: Socio-economic reintegration aims to support who faces stigma associated with the social violence that is prevailing lifelong.
Survivors of the Sexual Violence in Conflict: Women and their Children.
In International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict 2019, we try to encourage the survivors of sexual violence, often the Women and Children considered affiliates rather than victims of armed and violent extremist groups.
UN Action with International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict 2019
- 14 UN entities with the goal of ending sexual violence are brought together by the United Nations Action Against Sexual Violence in Conflict(UN Action).
- It represents a joint effort of the United Nations to support country-level effort to prevent conflict-related to sexual violence, improving coordination and accountability and respond to survivors more effectively. It launched in 2007.
- Ms.Pramila Patten of Mauritius is the chairman of the UN Action since April 2017, by the Special Representative of the Secretary-General on the Sexual Violence in Conflict.