INTERNATIONAL DAY FOR POVERTY ERADICATION
Why Anti-Poverty Day is Celebrated?
- UN dedicated 17th October annually as International day for poverty eradication or Anti-Poverty Day in its resolution 47/196 on 22 December 1992.
- On the very day in 1987 hundred thousand people gathered in Paris with the statement that poverty is a violation of human rights.
- Member states signed the Universal Declaration of Human rights in Paris in 1948 in respect of people suffering from extreme poverty.
- These principles are scripted on a commemorative stone which was unveiled on 17th October, since then many people all over the world with similar belief gather to showcase their support for the poor.
- The commemorative stone has been copied and replicas have been placed globally for the celebration of the Anti-poverty
- It is a day to promote and encourage government, organizations, and people to take an initiative to eradicate poverty.
- More than 1.3 billion are deprived of money, nutritious food, shelter, medical care, illiteracy, which all represent poverty.
- Eradicating poverty is a major need to have a sustained world, hence poverty eradication by 2030 is the number one priority of UN Sustainable development Goal.
- UN has also launched “Accelerating global actions for a world without poverty” in its 72nd general assembly to eradicate poverty (2018-2027)
- The most important part of the anti-poverty day celebration is participation poor people and let the world hear their problems, they are main fighters of poverty.
International Day for Poverty Eradication Theme
- To intensify each year celebration UN devotes an International Day for Poverty Eradication theme or a call for the action.
- International day for poverty eradication 2018 theme “Coming together with those furthest behind to build an inclusive world of universal respect for human rights and dignity”
“Wherever men and women are condemned to live in extreme poverty, human rights are violated. To come together to ensure that these rights be respected is our solemn duty.”
– Father Joseph Wresinski
- With the dual occasion of 70th anniversary of “Universal Declaration of Human rights” and the 30th anniversary of Call to Action by Father Joseph Wresinski who was the first to address that extreme poverty violates human rights, this is the focus of International day for poverty eradication 2018.
- This year’s theme aims to give a voice for the people in poverty to let know the world their sufferings and to recognize their efforts for eradication of poverty.
International Day for Poverty Eradication Theme:
|2010||From Poverty to Decent Work: bridging the gap|
|2011||From Poverty to Sustainability: People at the Centre of Inclusive Development|
|2012||Ending the Violence of Extreme Poverty: Promoting Empowerment and Building Peace|
|2013||Working together towards a world without discrimination: Building on the experience and knowledge of people in extreme poverty|
|2014||Leave no one behind: think, decide and act together against extreme poverty|
|2015||Building a sustainable future: Coming together to end poverty and discrimination|
|2016||Moving from humiliation and exclusion to participation: Ending poverty in all its forms|
|2017||Answering the Call of October 17 to end poverty: A path toward peaceful and inclusive societies|
|2018||Coming together with those furthest behind to build an inclusive world of universal respect for human rights and dignity|
Poverty in India
- Over 10 years 271 million people have escaped poverty from India, India came down to 2nd potion from being the home for most poverty population.
- The poverty rate is dropping rapidly in India, and if this continues consistently India might able to eradicate poverty by 2030.
- Many fund-raising programs, government events, food distribution, awareness camps and more international day for poverty eradication activities are organized to support the eradication of poverty.
“For sustainable development eradicating poverty is essential” Himalai IAS coaching supports on this International day for Eradicating Poverty as a part of our India with world events.