International Day for Older Persons
- Every Year, Globally many nations celebrate International Day for Older Person or old age day on 1st
- UN in its general assembly on 1990 passed the resolution 45/106 to celebrate the International day for older persons to lend a helping hand for senior citizens and to prevent their abuse.
- UN also established United Nations Principles for older persons in 1991
- Later in 2002, for the development of the aging population in the 21st century the second world assembly implemented ‘Madrid International Plan of Action on Ageing’
International Day of Older Person Importance
- According to UN’s, there are 700 million people around the world who are above the age of 60 years. UN expects a rise of 20 percent which is about 2 billion by 2050.
- Considering this, there is a need for improving the facilities for senior citizen like a safe environment, easily accessible transportation, pension plans, medical amenities etc.
- If the aim is for sustainable development of the world, considering the population demography developments for senior citizens also plays a major role.
International Day for Older Persons Theme
Every year UN designates a theme for International day for older persons.
For example, International Day for Older Persons 2017 theme was “Stepping into the Future: Tapping the Talents, Contributions, and Participation of Older Persons in Society” was to encourage senior generations to take part activities and explore and expand their hidden talents.
This Year International Day for Older Persons 2018 theme is “Celebrating Older Human Rights Champions”
UN dedicated this year’s theme to commemorate the 70th anniversary of Universal Declaration of Human rights.
It aims to promote the meaning of Human Rights in day to day life of older persons and to encourage their involvement in social and communal activities. So they can enjoy their fundamental rights to the fullest.
|Year||International Day for Older Person Theme|
|2010||Older persons and the achievement of the MDGs|
|2011||The Growing Opportunities & Challenges of Global Ageing|
|2012||Longevity: Shaping the Future|
|2013||The future we want: what older persons are saying|
|2014||Leaving No One Behind: Promoting a Society for All|
|2015||Sustainability and Age Inclusiveness in the Urban Environment|
|2016||Take A Stand Against Ageism|
|2017||Stepping into the Future: Tapping the Talents, Contributions, and Participation of Older Persons in Society|
|2018||Celebrating Older Human Rights Champions|
Old age day in India
- There are 104 million senior citizens (Above 60 years) making up 8.6 percent of the Indian Considering this, a various International day for older person activities take place in India.
- Since 2005 Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment are awarding ’Vayoshreshtha Sammans’ to honor eminent senior citizens and for organizations contributing for elder population development.
- In the year 2013 Indian government gave ’Vayoshreshtha Sammans’ the status of National Award given in 13 categories.
- For old age day celebration, Delhi Transport Corporation is providing free travel facilities for older citizens.
Older generations are the roots enriched with experience and wisdom, caring and protecting them is our responsibility. Himalai IAS coaching institute wants to create this awareness on the International day for older persons as part of our India with world events.