International Day for Older Persons
Every Year, Globally many nations celebrate International Day for Older Person or old age day on October 1st
- UN in its general assembly in 1990 passed the resolution 45/106 to celebrate the International day for older persons to lend a helping hand for senior citizens and to prevent their abuse.
- UN also established United Nations Principles for older persons in 1991
- Later in 2002, for the development of the ageing population in the 21st century the second world assembly implemented ‘Madrid International Plan of Action on Ageing’
- This year 2020 marks the 30th Anniversary of the International Day of Older Persons.and also marks the 75th Anniversary of the United Nations
- During this COVID 19 pandemic outbreak, considering the higher risk confronted by older person policy and programmatic interventions must be targeted towards raising awareness of their special needs.
- Along with that recognizing older person’s contributions to their own health and the multiple roles, they play in the preparedness and response phases of current and future pandemics is also important.
International Day of Older Person Importance
- According to UN’s, there are 700 million people around the world who are above the age of 60 years. UN expects a rise of 20 percent which is about 2 billion by 2050.
- Considering this, there is a need for improving the facilities for senior citizen like a safe environment, easily accessible transportation, pension plans, medical amenities etc.
- If the aim is for sustainable development of the world, considering the population demography developments for senior citizens also plays a major role.
- The International Day of Older Persons 2020 observance will also encourage the “ Decade of Healthy Ageing (2020-2030) ” . Further, help bring together UN experts, civil society, government and the health professions to discuss the five strategic objectives of the Global Strategy and Action plan on Ageing and Health.
International Day for Older Persons Theme 2020 is “Pandemics: Do They Change How We Address Age and Ageing?”.
Every year UN designates a theme for International day for older persons.
The 2020 theme aims to:
- Inform participants about the strategic objectives for the Decade of Healthy Ageing (2020-2030).
- Raise awareness of the special health needs of older persons and of their contributions to their own health and to the functioning of the societies during which they live.
- Raise awareness and appreciation of the role of the health care workforce in maintaining and improving the health of older persons, with special attention to the nursing profession
- Current proposals for reducing the health disparities between older persons within the developed and developing countries, so in order to “Leave nobody behind”.
- Improve understanding of the impact of COVID-19 on older persons and its aftereffect on health care policy, planning, and attitudes.
Old age day in India
- There are 104 million senior citizens (Above 60 years) making up 8.6 per cent of the Indian Considering this, a various International day for older person activities take place in India.
- Since 2005 the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment are awarding ’Vayoshreshtha Sammans’ to honour eminent senior citizens and for organizations contributing to elder population development.
- In the year 2013 Indian government gave ’Vayoshreshtha Sammans’ the status of National Award given in 13 categories.
- For old age day celebration, Delhi Transport Corporation is providing free travel facilities for older citizens.
International Day of Older Person Celebration
The event is co-hosted by the NGO Committee on Ageing, New York and DESA, and co-sponsored the Permanent Mission of Argentina to the United Nations, together with the Group of Friends of Older Persons. The event will bring worldwide participants from NGOs, the Member States, academia and civil society. The commemorative event is going to be held virtually on, 1 October 2020 from 9 am to 12 pm (New York time).
Older generations are the roots enriched with experience and wisdom, caring and protecting them is our responsibility. Himalai IAS coaching institute wants to create this awareness on the International day for older persons as part of our India with world events.