Good Governance day
In India, good governance day is celebrated on 25th December to commemorate the birth anniversary of our former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. He was well known for his leadership, service for the nation, impeccable decision making and tremendous political mindset.
To honor him, Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2014 dedicated 25th November to be celebrated as ‘Good Governance Day’. It’s a day to celebrate all the policies and decision taken by the administrators for the good of people and for the Nation.
This year good governance day 2018 will be on 25 December 2018, Tuesday and Good Governance day is a working day.
Objectives of Good Governance day
- To signify the importance of establishing responsible and transparent governance (A corruption free governance)
- Prioritizing the welfare of the common people through effective policies and good administration.
Atal Bihari Vajpayee: A political legacy
- In 1924, born to Krishna Devi and Krishna Bihari Vajpayee in Gwalior, Atal Bihari Vajpayee from a very young age showed interest in politics.
- He graduated with a degree in Bachelor of arts and pursued masters in political science.
- In 1957, Atal Bihari Vajpayee is was first elected to parliament and continued to be active till 2004, a four-decade-long experience in parliament.
- He was the only parliamentarian to be successfully elected from different states at different timeline- Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat, and
- He became the 10th Prime Minister of India from 1998- 2004. As a prime minister, he took many crucial decisions, sometimes even against the political notations for the wellbeing of the country.
- One of the examples is Pokhran Nuclear test to make India on par with other countries in terms of nuclear strength. Other include the issues with world fora, addressing UN assembly in Hindi and more.
- He was known for his judgment and foresight in economic issues which was proven in Golden Quadrilateral project which connects major four cities of the country in a road network. He ensured that India will have a sustained economic growth year after year.
- He had the magnetic personality and solid presence in the parliament even when he was an opposition leader. Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s political legacy became an example for the younger generation to admire and follow. He suffered from many health issues and died on 17th August 2018.
- He received many honors and awards which include Padma Vibhushan in 1992, Bharat Ratna in 2015 and Bangladesh Liberation War honor in 2015.
Good Governance day celebration
Good governance day in India is focused on the concept of doing good through administration, which can also be considered as the good governance day theme. On this day, both central and state government organize many events like distributing gas connections, pulses at 10/ Kg for the welfare of people. Education camps are organized at many places for creating awareness about digital governance through Aadhar linkage and about claiming benefits of government policies.
Indian civil services are key persons for governance, in devising policies and its establishments. Good Governance for the welfare of common people should be your aim as future civil service officers. Himalai IAS coaching delivers this message on the good governance day as a part of our India with world events.