Government approves draft Act for setting up of Higher Education Commission of India by repealing UGC Act
27th of June, 2018 New Delhi
In a landmark decision, a Higher Education Commission of India (Repeal of University Grants Commission Act) Bill 2018 that seeks to revoke UGC Act & arranges the setting up of Higher Education. Commission of India which is prepared by the Ministry of HRD & located in public domain for comments and suggestions. The emphasis of Higher Education Commission of India is on enlightening academic standards & the excellence of Higher Education. The Union Minister for Human Resource Development, Shri Prakash Javadekar has appealed to all educationists, stakeholders and the general public to provide the comments & the suggestions by 7th July 2018 till 5 p.m. on the draft Bill.
The comments will be mailed to the email@example.com. The Central Government, under the guidance of PM Mrs. Narendra Modi, is on a process of reform of the regulatory agencies for good administration of higher education sector.
- In the accomplishment of above, many reform measures that have already been launched viz
- Reform of NAAC
- Regulation for grant of Graded Autonomy to Universities
- Granting of Autonomous status to colleges,
- The Regulation for Open Distance Learning,
- Regulation for Online degrees etc.
The draft Act is in agreement with the commitment of Govt for reforming the regulatory systems that are provided for more self-sufficiency & assist the holistic growth of the education system which provides much more opportunities to the Indian students at the more reasonable charge.
- Places of interest of the Higher Education Commission of India (Repeal of University Grants Commission Act) Bill 2018
- The attention of the Commission is to improve the academic standards & quality of higher education, specifying customs for learning outcomes, set down standards of teaching/research etc.
- Which will provide a roadmap for mentoring of institutions that are found failing in sustaining the required academic standards.
- It shall also have the control to enforce its decisions via legal provisions in the Act.
- The Commission shall also have the control to grant authorization to begin academic operations on the source of their compliance with standards of academic quality.
- It also has the powers to repeal authorization granting to a higher education institution where there may be a case of continuous default in compliance with the norms/regulations.
- It is also having the powers to recommend shutting of institutions that fail to adhere to minimum standards without affecting students’ interest.
- The Commission will also encourage higher education institutions to frame a Code of Good Practices that will cover the promotion of research, teaching, and learning.
- The constitution of the Commission is supported by the co-option of Chairpersons of regulatory bodies in higher education, they are AICTE and the NCTE.
- The Bill also provides for the penal provisions, that although graded in nature, which will cover withdrawal of power to grant degrees/ diplomas or direction that will cease academic operations & in cases of stubborn non-compliance, may result in prosecution sanction as per the Criminal Procedure Code with a punishment of imprisonment for a term which may extend up to 3 years.
- There is an Advisory Council to provide advice to the Commission on matters regarding coordination & determination of standards in the country. This is represented by the Chairpersons / Vice-Chairpersons of State Councils for Higher Education & managed by the Union Minister for HRD.
- The Commission will require standards & processes for fixing of fee actionable by higher education institutions & advice the Central Government or the State Governments, to make education affordable to all.
- It will also monitor, via a national database, all difficulties covering the development of emerging fields of knowledge & stable growth of higher education institutions in almost all scope & especially in raising of academic quality in higher education.