Cabinet approves continuation and revision of “Post Matric Scholarship for OBC Students for studying in India”
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for continuation and revision of the Centrally Sponsored Scheme of “Post Matric Scholarship for Other Backward Classes Students for studying in India” (PMS-OBC) for the years 2017-18, 2018-19 and 2019-20.
The revision in the PMS-OBC scheme to ensure effective implementation and better monitoring of the schemes includes:
- Annual parental income will be increased from Rs. One Lakh to Rs. 1.5 lakh.
- 30% of the funds allocated earmarked for girl students and 5% for students with disabilities.
- Disbursement of scholarships through Aadhaar seeded bank accounts.
- Since the Scheme is funds-limited, central assistance shall be released according to the Notional Allocation. The concept of Committed Liability shall not apply to States/UTs for releases.
The estimated cost of the Scheme will be Rs.3,085 crore.
The revised Scheme:
- Will cover larger numbers of eligible and deserving poor OBC students who will be able to pursue higher studies and
- Will ensure effective implementation, achieve de-duplication and enhanced monitoring.
“Post Matric Scholarship for Other Backward Classes Students for studying in India” (PMS-OBC) a flagship scheme of the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment has been in operation since 1998-99. It enables approximately 40 lakh OBC students to pursue higher study after class X per year.
Source: PIB DELHI