Commonwealth Day celebrates on 24th May every year, Himalai IAS Coaching Centre in Bangalore aims is to bring awareness about current affairs for the Civil Services Exam like IAS exam, KAS exam, banking exam and other competitive exams.
The Commonwealth Day was before known as the Empire Day. Particularly, the day observed in countries that were once under the British Rule.
History of Commonwealth Day
On 22 January 1901, after the death of Queen Victoria, her birthday, 24th May celebrated as Empire Day.
Since then, from 24 May 1902 as Empire Day, though not officially recognised as an annual event until 1916.
Further, Empire Day was instituted in the United Kingdom in 1905. By Lord Meath and extended throughout the countries of the Commonwealth.
Commonwealth Day 2020
The Commonwealth Day theme is chosen annually to focus for activities undertaken during the ensuing year led by the Governments of Commonwealth member states and by Commonwealth organizations to spread awareness.
- Commonwealth Day themes for the welfare of the people for good healthcare, this theme is agreed in consultation with representatives of Commonwealth civil society and presented for approval by Her Majesty the Queen, Head of the Commonwealth to organize and develop.
- On the day our governments, institutions and people connect at many levels, including through parliaments and universities.
- The institute of commonwealth care cooperates on trade to encourage inclusive economic empowerment for all people – particularly women and youth and marginalised communities representation.
- Institute take part in friendly sporting rivalry and encourage our young people to participate in sport for development and peace for the healthy lifestyle.
The Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, through the CPA Headquarters Secretariat, will celebrate Commonwealth Day with a programme for our young citizens.
This programme remains one of the most popular in the Association’s calendar. The arrangements that the CPA Headquarters Secretariat has made for the Observance of the Day in London have resulted in much positive feedback and over the years, we have used different methods to reinforce the benefits derived by the young people who attend.
Commonwealth Day Celebration
- Talks on the Commonwealth and explicitly on the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association and our commitment to parliamentary popular government.
- The short debates or other presentations on current critical issues in the Commonwealth
- Attendance at the Commonwealth Day Observance at Westminster Abbey where Her Majesty The Queen, as Head of the Commonwealth, is usually present together with all Commonwealth High Commissioners in London
- Participation at the Commonwealth Secretary-General’s (CSG) evening gathering.
In conclusion, Himalai IAS Coaching Centre spread awareness about social responsibility, current events by observing national events, world events like Commonwealth Day 2020 as a part of Our India With World Events.