INTERNATIONAL PEACE DAY
- From 1981 International Peace day was initially observed on third Tuesday of September annually, which was the day for commencement of UN’s regular sessions of the General assembly.
- It was celebrated to strengthen world peace among the nations and promote nonviolence.
- Observing the contribution of world peace day celebration in promoting world peace, UN decided to fix a day for International peace day commemoration in 2000 general assembly.
- Since then International peace day is celebrated on 21st September every year, to create an awareness about reinforcing the ideal world peace that is yet to be achieved
- Anonymously this day was also selected to be a day of global ceasefire and non-violence in 111th plenary meeting September 2001
- World Peace Day 2018 or International peace day 2018 is observed today that is 21 September, Friday.
International day of peace activities
UN’s Initiation of 17 Sustainable Development Goals
- UN recognized that world peace can only be achieved through sustainable development all over the world, so in 2015 it established 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
- In which goal 16 is dedicated to world peace as “Peace, Justice, and Strong Institutions” promoting that justice and equality are the main ingredients for achieving world peace.
- There is a constant threat of exploitation of children, women and vulnerable people around the world. For prevention of such crimes UN promoting of 17 Sustainable Development Goals on the occasion of Peace Day.
International Peace day themes
- World peace day is celebrated with a different theme every year.
- Previous Year International peace day 2017 theme was “Together for Peace: Respect, Safety and Dignity for All” to promote the ‘TOGETHER’ campaign an initiative to promote Respect, Safety and Dignity for Migrants and Refugees.
International Peace day 2018 theme is “The Right to Peace – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights at 70”
- This year world peace day theme is dedicated to celebrating the 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR).
- Universal Declaration of Human right is a historical document that was drafted by many world leaders of different regions and cultural background to preserve the basic Human right, in 1948.
- The Article 3 of UDHR builds the basic foundation of freedom and world peace which states that “Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person”
Previous Years Peace day themes
International Peace day themes
|2018||The Right to Peace – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights at 70|
|2017||Together for Peace: Respect, Safety and Dignity for All|
|2016||The Sustainable Development Goals: Building Blocks for Peace|
|2015||Partnerships for Peace – Dignity for All|
|2014||The Right of Peoples to Peace|
|2013||Education for Peace|
|2012||Sustainable Peace for a Sustainable Future|
|2011||Peace and Democracy: Make your voice heard!|
|2010||Youth for Peace and Development|
Peace Bell Ringing on International Peace Day
- The Peace Bell in the peace garden of UN’s Headquarters was donated by Japan in 1954, it symbolizes the ‘Hope of Peace’.
- The significance of the bell is that it is cast by coins and medals donated by representatives of a member of states and children.
- UN’s Secretary-General will ring the peace bell every year as the celebration of international peace day
Peace day in India
- India has ranked 137th place in the global peace index 2018, it is among few nations of South Asia which has improved its ranking, which means that crime rate of India has reduced and the government programs for violence prevention is working.
- A joint association of National Oral Cancer Prevention Initiative, (NOCPI) in association with Kalinga Institute of Dental Sciences (KIDS) have organized a campaign on the providing sanitization and creating awareness about the world peace among public citizen
- A poster-making event and world peace discussion session is organized at Apeejay Stya University, New Delhi
- Awareness about the importance of world peace is created through social media platforms through messages, videos etc..,
World Peace is not impossible but it can only be achieved with joint efforts from everyone, Himalai wants to create an awareness of world peace on this International Peace day as a part of Our India with world events.