INTERNATIONAL DEMOCRACY DAY
- International democracy day is celebrated annually on 15th September to promote the value of Human Rights and to respect every individual’s freedom.
- Resolution to commemorate this day was taken at the 2007 UN general assembly.
- This year is the 70th anniversary of “Universal Declaration of Human Rights” which gives an added value for the occasion.
- This year the International Democracy Day 2018 is celebrated on 15th September, Saturday.
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) is a document that drafts the fundamental rights which was accepted by world leaders from all regions around the world.
- This resolution (217 A) was declared by UN general assembly on 10th December 1948, in Paris and become a major mile stone in world history.
- It sets up a common standard for protecting the basic human rights, which shall be followed by all people of every nation.
- The declaration has been translated in over 500 language.
- The article 21(a) directly associates democracy and Human rights
“The will of the people shall be the basis of the authority of government; this will shall be expressed in periodic and genuine elections which shall be by universal and equal suffrage and shall be held by secret vote or by equivalent free voting procedures”
International Democracy day Importance
- Democracy is the structure of government which asserts that all the state governing members will be elected through a fair public elections by each and every citizen of the country.
- In turn Democracy provides a safe environment to execute the Human Rights.
- An Ideal democracy is a structure corruption free, this is a goal that is yet to be achieved.
- This is not only a goal of a single country but of the whole world, this cannot be realized without a combined international effort.
- International day of democracy is celebrated to create an awareness about the importance of Democracy and its role in preservation of Human rights.
Democracy in India
- India became democratic after independence. It is the world’s largest democratic nation with its famous quote of “Of the people, By the people and For the people”.
- Still India is not a Pure democratic nation because some rights protected by constitution that is unassailable for the elected government so it is part Republic.
- In 2014 election was the world’s largest election ever with 814.5 million eligible voters, with 100 million new added voters and 23.1 million were young voters in the age range of 18 to 19.
- For such a large population, Indian Democracy faces many challenge in numerous forms of corruption, there is a requirement to create an equal platform to conduct election impartially.
- A wave of young leaders is required for modifying the present political mind sets, to take India to new heights among the rest of the countries in the world
International Democracy day celebration
- UN encourages Nations to organize special activates to promote the importance of democracy among its citizen
- Democracy day is celebrated in different theme by UN, the International Democracy day 2017 theme was “Democracy and Conflict prevention” stressed on improving the stability of democracy.
- International Democracy day 2018 theme is “Democracy under Strain” is in purpose of finding solutions for the various problems faced by the Democracy of every government.
- UN desires to promote “2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development” which regards its Sustainable Development Goal 16 “Peace Justice and strong Institutions” to recognize the need of protection of human rights by Democracy.
- For democracy day in India, at organized events prominent leaders give inspiring messages to encourage young generation in their speech on international day of democracy.
- Mock voting procedure is conducted on international day of democracy in school assembly to educate students about election procedure.
A strong democracy is the basic foundation for a stable nation and for maintaining the Human Rights, Himalai wants to convey this on International Democracy day as a part of our India with world events.